Section 8 program: transfer from one city to another

Are you a Section 8 Program tenant planning to move to another city and avail the same Section Housing 8 facilities that you have in your present city? You better move fast because the entire process may take more than a month and you may find yourself without a roof over your head in case you don’t take timely action.
The process of the transfer of your Section 8 Program Voucher from one city to another – that is also sometimes termed as porting your voucher – may involve the following steps with little variations depending upon where you are currently and where you’re going to be after you have gotten your Section 8 Program Voucher transferred:

  1. First of all you need to contact your current Section 8 Housing representatives or the Initial Housing Authority to let them know that you are planning to move to another city and want the same Section 8 facilities there too. They will most probably ask you to sign a request for portability document and then issue you a housing choice voucher.
  2. Then your Initial Housing Authority or your Section 8 Housing representatives will have to mail all the associated documents to the housing society of the city you are planning to move to. These documents must include the HUD-52665 and the HUD-50058, birth certificates of all your family members, along with the Social Security numbers and cards, other photo identity proofs, and the proof of your total household income. You will need to make sure that all the documents reach the destination before you arrive there. Please keep in mind that it may take anywhere between 20-35 days for your documents to go through proper processing.
  3. Once you have arrived please call the housing office to confirm that your portability packet has arrived. They will instruct you to be present in their office along with your family members. When you appear for the interview you will be given a housing choice voucher that may help you decide where you would like to rent a place for your family.
  4. After you have chosen the house you will need to notify the housing department along with the attached documents so that the house can be inspected for a minimum health and security standards.
  5. Once the house has been cleared by the Housing authority only then you sign the lease agreement.
  6. As mentioned the entire procedure of getting your section 8 program voucher transferred from one city to another may take more than 30 days you will need to start with a proper plan of action.

Similar Posts:


  1. Did you move to Florida already? I’m in Florida and trying to move to another city. Let me know how you did the process or if you need help.
    The county that issued my voucher is still open. I’m trying to move closer to my doctor. So I need to move to another city.
    They are telling me to find one that absorbs. If they are still issuing vouchers can I be helped by accepting to be billed if I find a lower priced place to live? Meaning my rent would be lower than what I’m paying now,.

  2. tiffany deboise says:

    I am trying to move to Norwalk from West Haven. The worker informed me that they can only port my paperwork to the housing authority in Norwalk. I found a place already and the landlord informed me that he goes through a different company named J Amelio and associates. Is it my choice where I want the voucher sent?

    • Nelson Rosen says:

      As long as the new building is section 8 approved, you can move in there and the landlord will deal with section 8 directly to get paid once your paperwork is processed.

  3. I’m trying to move my section 8 to Minneapolis my plan is to move in May I already talk to my worker and I already have my packet. my question is how long is the progress I know I have to go to ornamentation but I’m not sure if I should turn it in the first week of April or. Getting close to my leave date? Need help?

  4. Patrecia says:

    I am looking to port out of Montana to Florida (Kissimmee Area) and am looking for information on the porting process into FL and how long it takes to complete all the necessary paper work. I will be Porting in July 2015.

  5. I’m porting from Chicago to south suburbs . All my paperwork has been received and I have appointment this month but is it an interview or briefing?

  6. Hi Towanda, I was wondering if you were able to transfer into Ga. I am looking to do the same thing. Did you try all the housing authorities in and around Gwinett County or do you inquire on a state level?

  7. laurasection8 says:

    Portability allows you to move with continued assistance to any housing authority in the country that has a Housing Choice voucher program. Click on this link for more info :

  8. laurasection8 says:

    The voucher amount will vary since limits or payment standards may be different depending on the Housing Authority. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

  9. laurasection8 says:

    Unfortunately, new Section 8 voucher holders will have to live for at least a year in the jurisdiction where you applied. Once you lived in that area for 12 months, then you should talk to your Case Worker about moving.

  10. laurasection8 says:

    As long as you’ve lived in WV for at least 12 months you just need to contact your Section 8 case worker and request moving papers. I’d suggest you also call Arlington Housing Authority to get a list of docs you need to provide them with. Call them before you go to your interview at WV. That way you make sure to gather all the info at once.

  11. Jason Strick says:

    You would have to call each housing authority to find out if they’ll absorb.

  12. Jason Strick says:

    Generally it is a short process. The only delay should be finding housing authorities willing to absorb you, not getting authorization to get ported out.

  13. laurasection8 says:

    I’d suggest you add your relatives now. Section 8 Housing rules might slightly differ from state to state. I would start inquiring at the end of October. Make sure not to sign Lease renewal with your Landlord, though.

  14. laurasection8 says:

    Income Limits vary between states. You should call your Local Section 8 Housing Authority

  15. Loving life says:

    Only in some cases. Because at my breifing (WISCONSIN)asked could I port right out to VEGAS and they let me …. Few papers that needed to be signed and a lot of time but now I’m here 9months strong and loving it

Speak Your Mind