Section 8 program: transfer from one city to another

Are you a Section 8 Program tenant planning to move to another city and avail the same Section Housing 8 facilities that you have in your present city? You better move fast because the entire process may take more than a month and you may find yourself without a roof over your head in case you don’t take timely action.
The process of the transfer of your Section 8 Program Voucher from one city to another – that is also sometimes termed as porting your voucher – may involve the following steps with little variations depending upon where you are currently and where you’re going to be after you have gotten your Section 8 Program Voucher transferred:

1. First of all you need to contact your current Section 8 Housing representatives or the Initial Housing Authority to let them know that you are planning to move to another city and want the same Section 8 facilities there too. They will most probably ask you to sign a request for portability document and then issue you a housing choice voucher.
  2. Then your Initial Housing Authority or your Section 8 Housing representatives will have to mail all the associated documents to the housing society of the city you are planning to move to. These documents must include the HUD-52665 and the HUD-50058, birth certificates of all your family members, along with the Social Security numbers and cards, other photo identity proofs, and the proof of your total household income. You will need to make sure that all the documents reach the destination before you arrive there. Please keep in mind that it may take anywhere between 20-35 days for your documents to go through proper processing.
  3. Once you have arrived please call the housing office to confirm that your portability packet has arrived. They will instruct you to be present in their office along with your family members. When you appear for the interview you will be given a housing choice voucher that may help you decide where you would like to rent a place for your family.
  4. After you have chosen the house you will need to notify the housing department along with the attached documents so that the house can be inspected for a minimum health and security standards.
  5. Once the house has been cleared by the Housing authority only then you sign the lease agreement.
  6. As mentioned the entire procedure of getting your section 8 program voucher transferred from one city to another may take more than 30 days you will need to start with a proper plan of action.

1. Did you move to Florida already? I’m in Florida and trying to move to another city. Let me know how you did the process or if you need help.
    The county that issued my voucher is still open. I’m trying to move closer to my doctor. So I need to move to another city.
    They are telling me to find one that absorbs. If they are still issuing vouchers can I be helped by accepting to be billed if I find a lower priced place to live? Meaning my rent would be lower than what I’m paying now,.

2. tiffany deboise says:

I am trying to move to Norwalk from West Haven. The worker informed me that they can only port my paperwork to the housing authority in Norwalk. I found a place already and the landlord informed me that he goes through a different company named J Amelio and associates. Is it my choice where I want the voucher sent?

• Nelson Rosen says:

As long as the new building is section 8 approved, you can move in there and the landlord will deal with section 8 directly to get paid once your paperwork is processed.

• How many days u have to wait

3. I’m trying to move my section 8 to Minneapolis my plan is to move in May I already talk to my worker and I already have my packet. my question is how long is the progress I know I have to go to ornamentation but I’m not sure if I should turn it in the first week of April or. Getting close to my leave date? Need help?

4. Patrecia says:

I am looking to port out of Montana to Florida (Kissimmee Area) and am looking for information on the porting process into FL and how long it takes to complete all the necessary paper work. I will be Porting in July 2015.

• Nelson Rosen says:

Should take a few months.

• Jsantos says:

Kissimmee area belongs to the osceola county section 8 office, Phone
      (407) 742-8400 and address: 330 N Beaumont Ave
      Kissimmee, FL 34741. Or just enter their site at: . I’ve ported my section 8 their once and they work really quick. Good luck!

• How long did it take you and did FL contact that your transfer was done or your previous state?

• Nelson maybe you can help also, I would like to move to jacksonville from CT, however when reading the Jville section 8 rules it says that if you come to them with a 3 bdrm voucher doesnt mean you will keep one when you get there, their rules are 2 to a room regardless of age or sex. Have you heard this? I lived in Jville over 10 yrs ago & had a 3 bdrom, now its lookin like nope both kids in the same

• Nelson Rosen says:

Sounds true.

5. I’m porting from Chicago to south suburbs . All my paperwork has been received and I have appointment this month but is it an interview or briefing?

• hi, lisa how long did it take for housing to call you.for a briefing? for the south burbs. im sick of thr city im ready to go!!

6. Darlene martinez says:

I moved to a naiborhood that nothing but trouble keeps happening with in the few months that I have lived here people are getting shot and drug addics and gang bangers are contently in and out of the complex at all hours of the night. I have talked to the landlord/owner about this but nothing is being done. He also is renting out one of the gorages to someone as an apartment. Will section8 allow me to move 3 months befor my year is up here in Los angeles ca.

7. Hi everyone, I was just wondering about the voucher amount? does it change when you go from one state to another..since some states cost of living is higher than others.
    such as I am coming from Houston, going to Vegas? Will my voucher increse or decrease.

• Nelson Rosen says:

Yes, voucher amounts change from state to state. Even county to county.

8. Jasmine Goldston says:

Hi my name is Jasmine, I”m new to the Section 8 of Kern County.
    I just have a question do you have to stay in the the county, that approved you for section8 for a year. Before you can transfer to another county?

9. Christina rodriguez says:

I live in PR i am planning on moving to texas wish to transfer my section 8 but really cant find the information for the texas Sect 8 office for the transfer

10. Hello I live in Marion County Fl im trying to move back to New York so I can be closer to family and find better work opportunity I had lived in Suffolk County Ny I’ve been trying to call a lot of places in New York even in Pennsylvania and NO ONE is absorbing, Please I’m in desperate need to go back I know the cost in New York is a lot but I feel I would have a better opportunity to find what I’m looking for with work and having a set life goal for me as a nurse. So please someone help me find a place that is ABSORBING!! P.s my lease is up next month June 30 not much time. Thank you Everyone Have a Bless Day.

11. So I went to orientation month ago how long does it take to actually get my voucher im in Durham nc I submitted all my documents and proof of homelessness.

• Nelson Rosen says:

Were you accepted? Submitting all documents does not automatically get you a voucher. It can take years of waiting.

12. I am on section 8 in Minnesota, and my lease is up in 12-15 when should I ask for my portability papers or is it to early?

13. PLEASE HELP ME says:

• Nelson Rosen says:

Section 8 does not pay for any moving expenses

• PLEASE HELP ME says:

• PLEASE HELP ME says:

• natasha says:

Try this company, they accept public assistance payment:718-349-3114. A&a moving and storage.

14. Kim Freeman says:

HELPi have 3 months remaining before my lease isup.Im trying to move to a new county.When do i inform my caseworker than im transfering my voucher? thanks in advance.

15. I am trying to transfer my section 8 voucher from Savannah to Atlanta. How long will it take being that its in the same state?

• Savannah Ga. to Atlanta Ga.

• dominique hodge says:

I live in new york and i want to move to atlanta when i called to get the information to get it portable they was giving me the run around. Can somebody help me

16. Shiniece says:

Hello i was wondering do anyone know how would I be able to tell if section has gotten to my number in forth worth Texas I am having time trying to find out. I am from mississippi but I have a number on the waiting list.

• Nelson Rosen says:

You can call your HA to try and find out but it’s unlikely they’ll tell you where you are on the list.

17. Kimberly says:

I have a question? I’m in the process of trying to move to a different county I got a voucher from my present one for the house I’m in now and a voucher from the new county to look for a home there! What I’m asking is stuff isn’t working out like I hoped to be able to move now does anyone know if id be able to cancel the absorbing to a new county and just stay in the county I’m At now and continue my HUD in the home I’m at now?

18. I currently live in NJ want to transfer to AZ for medical purposes…Also can I add a person on…..and what if I don’t have income? I would apply for Cash Assistance until I find work….any suggestions?

19. Angie N says:

I live in PA I would like to move to Orlando Fla trying to find out how is the process when is to another state far I know from city to city in PA but not to another state far

• I ported from nc to miami a couple of years ago….that process took about 5 months (with documents turned in on time) I recently moved from Miami and started my port to Orlando but finding a place was the hardest because just like Miami they give you a descent amount but its still the bottom of the barrel type of areas. Miami ported my info to Orlando in July but I didn’t get scheduled for my briefing until September which made my voucher expire November!!! Being that I technically didn’t have my whole 120 days to look for a place Miami is allowing me to transfer my voucher some place else (I believe Ima go somewhere in Ga) hopefully this office move promptly. Hope this helps and good luck to you

20. barbara says:

Can any one tell me how can I transfer my section 8 I live in DeKalb county and the voucher in for Macon county Macon says that I got to stay their for a year before I can move is their any way I can port out before that year

21. elizabeth says:

hi i have a quick question my husband and i are in sec.8 and we live in mission tx right now but his doctor from houston tx asked him if he can move back to be seen frequently is there any way we can get a transfer? and if so how does it work o what do we have to do?

22. jennycel martinez says:

i have section8 i live in ny asked to move to connecticut have to go n pick up my voucher but the house i wanted got rented out can i transfer my section8 back to ny?

23. Hi,, I am porting my Sec 8 voucher from GA to VA, where the cost of living almost doubles as does the housing payments standard. Problem is, since the new HA is not absorbing, only billing, my old HA said they will not pay a dime over the payment standard in GA. How can this be? I would never be able to find a place for that amount. Don’t they have to go by what the new payment standard is because of the location? They said tough luck, find someone who will absorb, not bill. Any chances that this isn’t 100% accurate?

24. Melody Newman says:

Trying to transfer from here to Dallas just don’t know where to start. PLEASE HELP!

25. Im trying to move from Columbus Ohio to Las Vegas with my section 8 voucher How long is the prosess and how much time am I giving to move?

26. What is the time limit that you can use your voucher once you transfer it, and what if you don’t find any places can you transfer it back?

27. I have section 8 I just moved in my house in March2015 I signed a year lease I was just offered a job in Houston will I be able to move or will I have to turn down the job and stay out my year lease

28. I live in key west I just got section 8 I have been looking for a home and couldn’t find any ,so I wouldn’t want to lose the section 8 program and I was wondering if I could move to a different city before a year

p.s. I really need the section8 program

29. Does anyone know if Colorado …Denver or Boulder area is billing or absorbing or also do u know the amount they start you at …I’m in va and from what I’ve seen its expensive there too

30. Colorado questions on portability and allotted amount and space

31. hi I have a question. I currently have a voucher in north Carolina and am porting to md. I wanted to add my aunt before hand but i don’t think there is enough time to do the back ground check for her. can it be done in for days. she has know record. if not can i add her once i get to where im going. how long is the approval process to add my aunt, also can i request that my worker don’t port my paperwork until she is able to add my aunt or does she have a deadline. she was saying something about needing to add her before issuing my voucher. so if she has to issue me a voucher cant she update it after and then port it.

32. I am from Brideport Connecticut I am trying to Transfer to Stratford Connecticut how days they get the paper

33. Erica washington says:

If i just moved to iowa an they passed my inspection an my place is still not livable can i port back home if i cnt fund nothin else in iowa for my family size

34. Marian Hobbs says:

I currently live in a section 8 apartment in Nampa Idaho I would like to know where do I go to section 8 to move to a different state in Oregon my daughter has moved there and it’s important to me to be close to family that has helped out and I’ve helped them

35. Do any one know the amount for oklahome for 3 bed room voucher

36. Wanda Guilbeau says:

I may be moving to Atlanta surrounding area . can I transfer a voucher there. I have my son that moved there and I’m getting sick need to move closer.

37. Hello my name Miss Harris i got my movin package i july been lookin for a one bedroom in ny i find place but the only problem i found places i nit coverings my rent voucher…when to alot of realty no one has not call me back…niw iam thinking bout moving to jersey cuz i can find a place in new york my package expires Nov 24…my worker said if i dont find a place i get extension…do u think it to late to do a port from ny to nj

• It’s not too late. Get the extension from NY while calling nj housing and requesting portability.

38. Lillian Sablan says:

Hafa Adai anyone from guam out there?
    I’m thinking of relocating to Washington state or Texas how can I transfer my section 8 to either one of these states what is the first step just wanting to find better living for my family family of 7 any advice would be great

39. I have a question. I’m already renting a townhouse. I haven’t signed up for section 8, but I’m wondering since I already have a place. How do I go about getting section 8 or pay low income rent, without moving? I hope that I explained my question that is understandable.

40. I’m trying to port out from Miami to New York city with my section 8 voucher. I must submit my paper work tomorrow. Can anyone give me some vital information on the best Agency, and area out there. Thanks in advance.

41. Hello I just received my sec 8 voucher in September 2015
    I have a emergency in Pensacola Fl and have to transfer my sec 8 from Kentucky asap. Do you know the county I need to contact?? Thanks for any help!!

42. I’m trying to move home to Philadelphia and yes I’m on section8 I’m in Pittsburg pa and the housing here is bad i want to be back home with my family i been here to long please so one help

43. Hi, I’m currently in Sanford, NC I plan on porting my voucher to Albany, GA. I’ve been here for 1 year. My question is; I won’t be able to move until June 2016 when my children get out of school my lease is up this month. Do I have to wait until my lease is up next November to move or can I move in June 2016 as long as I give them a 30- 60 day notice?

44. What is the voucher amount for a 2br in coweta county? (Newman ga)

• Does anyone have any info about newnan ga? (Coweta county)

Thinking about porting there…
      Thanks in advance

45. Hi I am from Dallas and I was wondering how do I transfer my Housing to Waco and who do I need to contact and the voucher amount for a 4 bedroom in that area?

46. Hi Towanda, I was wondering if you were able to transfer into Ga. I am looking to do the same thing. Did you try all the housing authorities in and around Gwinett County or do you inquire on a state level?

47. laurasection8 says:

Portability allows you to move with continued assistance to any housing authority in the country that has a Housing Choice voucher program. Click on this link for more info :

48. laurasection8 says:

The voucher amount will vary since limits or payment standards may be different depending on the Housing Authority. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

49. laurasection8 says:

Unfortunately, new Section 8 voucher holders will have to live for at least a year in the jurisdiction where you applied. Once you lived in that area for 12 months, then you should talk to your Case Worker about moving.

50. laurasection8 says:

As long as you’ve lived in WV for at least 12 months you just need to contact your Section 8 case worker and request moving papers. I’d suggest you also call Arlington Housing Authority to get a list of docs you need to provide them with. Call them before you go to your interview at WV. That way you make sure to gather all the info at once.

51. Jason Strick says:

You would have to call each housing authority to find out if they’ll absorb.

52. Jason Strick says:

Generally it is a short process. The only delay should be finding housing authorities willing to absorb you, not getting authorization to get ported out.

53. laurasection8 says:

I’d suggest you add your relatives now. Section 8 Housing rules might slightly differ from state to state. I would start inquiring at the end of October. Make sure not to sign Lease renewal with your Landlord, though.

54. laurasection8 says:

Income Limits vary between states. You should call your Local Section 8 Housing Authority

55. Loving life says:

Only in some cases. Because at my breifing (WISCONSIN)asked could I port right out to VEGAS and they let me …. Few papers that needed to be signed and a lot of time but now I’m here 9months strong and loving it

56. I have a question I just received my letter stating a meeting to get my section 8 voucher I’ve been waiting on for three years what I want to know is I’ve currently just moved to another state can I port it from PA to Maryland I hope so I really could use the help

57. Nelson Rosen says:

You’d need to get approved in PA first.

58. From NC To GA says:

I want to port from NC to GA I have to be out by June 1when should I start my paperwork?

59. Nelson Rosen says:

I’d give it 120 days to be safe.