Requirements to apply for a section 8 program

In order to obtain a Section 8 Program Housing Voucher you need to meet many requirements and one of them is falling under the income group that normally qualifies for getting Section 8 Program Housing facilities.

The various income groups are calculated on the median income of the particular city or state and this income may vary from year to year. For instance around 2000 and 2003 the US median income was around $62,200 and in 2008 it rose to around $67,000. So whether you fall under low-income group, very low-income group or extremely low-income group depends on what percentage of the median income constitutes of your total income. Let us quickly go through the various low-income groups.

· Low-income group: Your income is 20% less than the median income of your region. According to 2007 figures if you are a single person family and your income is around $59,400 per annum then you come under the low-income group. The per annum figure increases with the number of members in the family. If there are two members in your family then your family falls under the low-income group if your family income per annum is $67,900. If there are five people in your family then a family income of $91,605 qualifies you as the low-income group family. So there are different numbers for different families.

· Very low-income group: Your income is 50% less than the median income of your region. Again, according to 2007 figures if you’re a single person family and your annual income is $37,150 then you belong to the very low-income group. Your family belongs to the very low-income group if there are five members in your family and your annual income is $57,300. We repeat here that there are different numbers for different families.

· Extremely low-income group: Your income is 70% less than the median income of your region. This means, according to 2007 figures, if you are a single person family and your annual income doesn’t exceed $22,300 then you belong to the extremely low-income group. Similarly if there are five family members and the annual income is $34,400 then your family belongs to the extremely low-income group.

You can obtain various income limitation charts from the housing authority offices. This is crucial information. You can also obtain it in the near future by registering for all access to our free email updates  along with other important and useful information for registered users only.

Priority is given to the extremely low income group. But basically these are the three groups that qualify for Section 8 Housing Vouchers.

The key to successfully obtaining a section 8 housing program voucher is submitting as much accurate information as possible. Whenever the public housing authority invites new applications there are thousands of applicants and only a few hundred are included in the waiting list and some claim that the last person in the waiting list gets the voucher as late as in two years! So you can easily make out why it is so important to meet all the requirements when you are applying for a section 8 Housing program voucher. By making all the requirements you remove practically all the hurdles on your way to obtaining your section 8 program housing voucher.

So what are these requirements? Let us quickly go through them one by one.

· There should be no criminal records pertaining to you within the past five years. First it used to be just one year but recently it got extended to five years.

· You should be living in the city or county where you are planning to avail the housing facility.

· You should have ready with you the social security cards of all your family members in the household and the names on the application must exactly meet the names on the social security cards.

· The latest photo identification proofs of all the family members that are 18 years or older and 62 years or younger. These photo identification proofs can be anything like driving licenses and membership cards.

· Documented proofs of income generated by all the earning family members in the household, including the head of the family. If you are employed (applies to every family member who is earning) then you will have to obtain a wage certificate from your employer.

· The names of all the family members, their dates of birth, individual phone numbers and their current addresses; the head of the family must supply this information pertaining to himself or herself too.

· The original birth certificates of all the family members.

· The proof of your permanent residents in the form of telephone bill or another utility bill. In case you lost your permanent resident due to some accident or natural disaster you will need to visit your local natural disaster center and obtain a written recommendation from there.

· Are you getting social security and other social welfare allowances and pensions? You may need to mention that and supply the concerned documents at the time of application submission.

Even if you are getting child-support you have to mention that. On the other hand if you are providing child-support you can mention that too. Similarly if you are earning through other direct and indirect means such as property and investments you will need to reveal that. Hiding such information won’t work in your favor because eventually it gets found out and then it creates more problems and delays for you and your family.

· Information regarding any kind of disability in the family along with certified proof of the disability.

· Age or disability certificate if you are applying as a disabled person or as a person over 62 years of age.

You meet all the requirements to apply for a section 8 program for your own benefit because it significantly speeds up the entire process and eliminates the possible hiccups. A great way of applying for a section 8 program and ensuring your success is purchasing our online packet that provides you all the possible information just when you need it. With our packet you never miss a date, and we make sure you meet all the requirements at the time of application submission.

For information on Section 8 housing issues for seniors and persons with disabilities, click here.

Comments

comments

Comments

1. Amanda Washington says:

I’m 20 years old, enrolled in school. Have been unemployed for a couple months. Don’t have a stable place to stay move from couch to couch. Do you think I can apply for section 8 and be accepted.

2. I’m 19 and I have a newborn , and my mom got me on her section 8 . But I want to get on section 8 on my own will that be a problem ? Or mess up her section 8 ?

3. Sean parrett says:

I am 24 and my pregnant girlfriend is 21. We are currently living with her parents but needing to get out. We both work part time but she wont be able to work much longer. And i will be the only one working. Do we still qualify?

4. tosha williams says:

How long does the process take On Jan 14 I was to bring all my information in ss card birth cerf. check stubs. What is the next step

5. wanda fort says:

I dont think its fare i was denied saying it havent been 5 years since i been in trouble when i did the app but its clearly been 7 when they got to my name on the waiting list its not right long as its been 5 when they get to your name should only count not when you done the app so i have to reapply to wait another 4-5 years.

6. Iasiha Johnson says:

What if I have no income do me and my two kids still qualify for a voucher.

7. I’m 21 years old an i have a 6 month old baby. I recently moved out of my boyfriends parents house with my child an staying with my sister for the time being I am unemployed an have no income. But I would love to have a place of my own for the first time with my baby? Do I qualify for section 8

8. If you were denied before, can you reapply? I don’t know why I was denied, I receive tdb from social services.

9. Can you get a movable sec 8 voucher if you live in a low income apt.?

10. I am 60 i have a misdemeanor that a two yr old can i still quailfy for sec 8.

11. I’m 24 and have a low paying job. Couch hoping from place to place and all the house are too expensive for me to afford. Could I get into section 8? I’m alone . No kids

12. Do you qualfy for section8with no income

13. Martin a Sandoval says:

Hello I’m getting ssa income because of my mental illness but i’m consider low income, can someone like me could still apply for the section 8 program?

14. Patricia Nicotera says:

I am a 68 year old woman living on Social Security and a small pension of $115.56 per month. My rent is $703.97 each month and I work part time 3 to 4 days a week for no more than 5 hours for $9.00 an hour standing on my feet which is not good for my back. I live in Co-op City by myself. My social security monthly payment is 1494.00 per month. Do I qualify for help from Section 8. Thank you. Patricia

15. Judy pederson says:

You take the total income , can I add what I pay for prescription and supplemental insurance plus what’s have to pay for my Medicare insurance . Or subtract my insurances

16. Hello . I hAve a full time job 40 our per week $10. i am a single and full time student. Can i aply for section 8. I have green card

17. Alexis brainard says:

I’m 17 and from fresno I’m currently 4 months pregnant I was wondering if I could sign up for section 8 now or to I have to wait till I’m 18. My birthday is in august.???

18. PAMELA MCGEE says:

I am soon to lose my child support because my son is about to leave for college soon and I have section 8 and view been living in a two bdrm mobile home now I m going to have to move into a studio or 1 bdrm so what amount am I looking for in terms of rent money and im also moving to another state?

19. Sandra Thomasson says:

I’m 61, having neurological problems, extreme anxiety, depression, problems, and IBS from the neurological problems, I’m unable to work because of the above-mentioned problems. My home life is very unstable and want to divorce my husband. I have no income. Do I qualify for public housing?

20. Sandra Thomasson says:

Currently my husband is paying my health insurance, but if we divorce that along with my car insurance won’t be paid by him. We live on about $20,000 unless he’s forced to take money out of investments that are worth around $80,000. Part of our income ($500 a month) is from the investments.

21. I am 61 years old, married, i want to leave my husband, i work part time, am i able to get help to leave both my husband and home?

22. Brittney says:

I’m a college student, with low income. Will I qualify?

23. khadijah curry says:

Can I apply for a section 8 apartment even with no job?

24. Anita Sorrells says:

If im number 18 on the list what does that mean

25. Hi…
    I am 39 and I live in LA…
    There’s a lady I know that has section 8 and she has no children…(She’s elderly)
    I want to get section 8…
    Can I get it even though I work and don’t have SSI?

26. Can i use self employment income? I turn in logs to human services for proof. Can i do that with section 8 also? Im in ohio

27. Brianna Lopez Guzman says:

My husband and I are 21 living with his mother, stepdad, my husband’s brother,brother’s gf, and his nephew. We are looking to move out, I lost my job last year and have been having health problems so my husband is supporting me. He is a busboy and makes $10/hr, very little tips, total a month $1, 000. As soon as I get better I want to get any job I can get to help him out but until then I was wondering if we would qualify for just the two of us.

28. I stay with my boyfriend so no head of house whole nd i want a voucher for me no kids will they give me section A i have no stsble job

29. I need an application how do I get one

30. If I qualify for everything else, but I am pregnant and receive foodstamps and Cash Aid would that be considered income?

31. lou lou says:

I’m retired and over 65 and on social security can I get section 8?

32. I have the grand mallsrziures my disability. Prevents me from working my husband is the one who works for us myself and two daughters 9 and 5 what is the mimim. And max too qualify for section. 8.

33. Shaneta says:

I am 17 with a 3 week old daughter & I received my letter in the mail for section 8 .. could you be 17 & receive the section 8 ? Is there an age requirement ?

34. What if my child support is my only income can I still be approved in NC?

35. Litisha Rollings says:

My mom is on section 8. I am 25. I am also low income (on ssi) and cannot afford a place of my own. Is there a way for her section 8 to cover me, and can I then take that with me to a new studio apartment? Or would I have to sign up for it separately? And how would I do that? because I can’t figure it out.

36. Just recieved a call for hcv in iowa for an appointment but I am living in georgia how will they count my income from georgia if I relocate there?

37. can a male living alone making minimum wage at 40 hr/per wk and paying child support qualify for section 8.and have 2 recent misdemeanors or does criminal record applied to both felonies and misdemeanors

38. i have an interview for a voucher.. single mother family of 7 but my only income is 173.00 a month now which is child support. when i applied it was 733.00 a month. will i be denied?

39. Elizabeth Francois says:

Can I apply for section 8 if I have no children

40. Tamia washington says:

Can I apply if I’m 16 years old with a little boy? I’m doing everything by myself I’m a single parent

41. IRVENA LILLY JORDAN says:

If I live in NC and I want to apply for section 8 in NY can I do that and if I had a case over 15 years ago will be be able to apply