Requirements to apply for a section 8 program

In order to obtain a Section 8 Program Housing Voucher you need to meet many requirements and one of them is falling under the income group that normally qualifies for getting Section 8 Program Housing facilities.

The various income groups are calculated on the median income of the particular city or state and this income may vary from year to year. For instance around 2000 and 2003 the US median income was around $62,200 and in 2008 it rose to around $67,000. So whether you fall under low-income group, very low-income group or extremely low-income group depends on what percentage of the median income constitutes of your total income. Let us quickly go through the various low-income groups.

· Low-income group: Your income is 20% less than the median income of your region. According to 2007 figures if you are a single person family and your income is around $59,400 per annum then you come under the low-income group. The per annum figure increases with the number of members in the family. If there are two members in your family then your family falls under the low-income group if your family income per annum is $67,900. If there are five people in your family then a family income of $91,605 qualifies you as the low-income group family. So there are different numbers for different families.

· Very low-income group: Your income is 50% less than the median income of your region. Again, according to 2007 figures if you’re a single person family and your annual income is $37,150 then you belong to the very low-income group. Your family belongs to the very low-income group if there are five members in your family and your annual income is $57,300. We repeat here that there are different numbers for different families.

· Extremely low-income group: Your income is 70% less than the median income of your region. This means, according to 2007 figures, if you are a single person family and your annual income doesn’t exceed $22,300 then you belong to the extremely low-income group. Similarly if there are five family members and the annual income is $34,400 then your family belongs to the extremely low-income group.

You can obtain various income limitation charts from the housing authority offices. This is crucial information. You can also obtain it in the near future by registering for all access to our free email updates  along with other important and useful information for registered users only.

Priority is given to the extremely low income group. But basically these are the three groups that qualify for Section 8 Housing Vouchers.

The key to successfully obtaining a section 8 housing program voucher is submitting as much accurate information as possible. Whenever the public housing authority invites new applications there are thousands of applicants and only a few hundred are included in the waiting list and some claim that the last person in the waiting list gets the voucher as late as in two years! So you can easily make out why it is so important to meet all the requirements when you are applying for a section 8 Housing program voucher. By making all the requirements you remove practically all the hurdles on your way to obtaining your section 8 program housing voucher.

So what are these requirements? Let us quickly go through them one by one.

· There should be no criminal records pertaining to you within the past five years. First it used to be just one year but recently it got extended to five years.

· You should be living in the city or county where you are planning to avail the housing facility.

· You should have ready with you the social security cards of all your family members in the household and the names on the application must exactly meet the names on the social security cards.

· The latest photo identification proofs of all the family members that are 18 years or older and 62 years or younger. These photo identification proofs can be anything like driving licenses and membership cards.

· Documented proofs of income generated by all the earning family members in the household, including the head of the family. If you are employed (applies to every family member who is earning) then you will have to obtain a wage certificate from your employer.

· The names of all the family members, their dates of birth, individual phone numbers and their current addresses; the head of the family must supply this information pertaining to himself or herself too.

· The original birth certificates of all the family members.

· The proof of your permanent residents in the form of telephone bill or another utility bill. In case you lost your permanent resident due to some accident or natural disaster you will need to visit your local natural disaster center and obtain a written recommendation from there.

· Are you getting social security and other social welfare allowances and pensions? You may need to mention that and supply the concerned documents at the time of application submission.

Even if you are getting child-support you have to mention that. On the other hand if you are providing child-support you can mention that too. Similarly if you are earning through other direct and indirect means such as property and investments you will need to reveal that. Hiding such information won’t work in your favor because eventually it gets found out and then it creates more problems and delays for you and your family.

· Information regarding any kind of disability in the family along with certified proof of the disability.

· Age or disability certificate if you are applying as a disabled person or as a person over 62 years of age.

You meet all the requirements to apply for a section 8 program for your own benefit because it significantly speeds up the entire process and eliminates the possible hiccups. A great way of applying for a section 8 program and ensuring your success is purchasing our online packet that provides you all the possible information just when you need it. With our packet you never miss a date, and we make sure you meet all the requirements at the time of application submission.

For information on Section 8 housing issues for seniors and persons with disabilities, click here.

Comments

1. Trying to find an on line application or where i need to go to apply for section 8 low income apts. In the area of Springdale, or Lowell, Arkansas 72745. Thank you, Debbie

2. laura hutchinson says:

can someone get a home under a section 8 voucher when you live in a section 8 seniors and disability complex.i heard recently that you could,even if you have a very low income.if this is true could you please help me to understand how to go about doing it .i also read that we could pick the home after being approved for a home voucher .i am not a senior but have disabilies

• Jason Strick says:

I think you need to ask the housing complex and the housing authority for section 8 in your area. My feeling is yes, but there are probably some crossover hoops to jump through. It never hurts to forge relationships with staff on both ends of the spectrum.

3. laura hutchinson says:

4. mrs boderick says:

im currently a single mother with 4 staying in a 2bedrm apartment renting just was wondering how can i get sum help with geting section 8 i have a past criminal history and i just cant get excepted anywere i need a bigger apartment

• Jason Strick says:

You cannot have a recent criminal record to be accepted into section 8.

5. I qualify for the income part, but what if you have money in retirement acct. that if you pulled it out you would have to pay taxes and big penalties. do they count this money? (I live in California) Thanks

6. Donna Dumas says:

I have applied for section 8 almost a year ago. I haven’t heard from anyone. How do I know if I am even on the list. The only information I received was when I first applied and received a letter not to call them that they would call me when I get to the top of the list. Is there anyway I can find out where I stand on the list and if I can speed up the process.

7. lynda harring says:

I currntly have sec.8. I am disabled and living with my adult son who is waiting for his disability hearing. Should he get this, our combined income will be a little over 30,000$ ( Iam also getting widow benefits)Will my son have to move out so that I can continue section 8? This won’t effect rent until 2010.

8. I am a student that has been unemployed for 2 years, with no criminal history. Can I apply for section 8?

9. Im a single mother of 2 children, they are under 9yo. I am going back to school to finish my career, I had to take the huge step and just enroll and start, I quit my job to start full time in school, I will finish in 1 year. I have about 3 month of rent saved up, but I want to apply for goverment help for this one year, and it is actually my only choice, what are my chances of getting into section 8? and how long for the approval.

10. jeanette gutierrez says:

how can I have a section 8 voucher? To be able to live in the good condition home,with a low income,

• laurasection8 says:

The 1st step is to contact your local Section 8 voucher program. Once you get approved, you will have to pick a place depending on the amount of your voucher. Landlords must keep their properties in good condition to comply with Section 8 rules/standards, otherwise the unit won’t pass the inspection (move-in inspection and then a yearly inspection).

11. Stephanie V says:

I am a single mother of 1 making a little over $20,000 a year. I am currently living in an apartment that accepts Section 8 voucher which I pay full rent. I am number 276 on the waiting list. I have struggled to pay rent for 3 yrs in these apts waiting to be accepted. I was wondering if my income is too high also is there a way to move up faster (I was told vouchers won’t be given out until 2010, I’ve been on the list since May 2006)

12. yes i would like to apply for section 8. Iam on line trying to submit my applaction for section 8. For my grandchild. Help

13. Rebecca says:

I am a mom of 2 and I have been unemployed for 3 months, I live with my mom and would like to have my own place, but my boyfriend who is the father of one of my kids wants to move in with us but he has a criminal history but that was at least a year or 2 ago how would that work? Since I have no income if I was accepted into section 8 what would be my monthly income approximately? Or what would be the voucher amount?

14. I ROBERT BEEN OUT OF A JOB FOR A MINUTE AND I’M TRYING TO GET HELP WITH SECTION 8 i been working with labor work to make some money so I CAN HELP PAY A BILL.

15. if i want to leave the apartment but im the head of household, but me and my boyfriend not getting along can i transfer the hpd section 8 on his name and his 2 kids?
    please help i dont know what to do.
    is easier for me to leave then him with two kids under his belf

16. Hi, my name is Jessica. 3 years ago, I gave up my section8, because it was very hard to find a decent apt. That accepts section 8 voucher. I didn’t inform them that I am giving up my voucher. I never received any notice from HUD , should I have received a notice of termination from Housing? Thanks

• Nelson Rosen says:

Well, that depends on what you mean by “I gave up my section 8.” Did you inform them and terminate your voucher? Why would you do that anyway? Do you know how long people wait to get approved?

In any case, you have to do an annual re-certification so if you have not filled out one of those in the past 3 years, your benefits have likely been terminated.

17. laurasection8 says:

You should check the Annual Max Income Guidelines for your Local Section 8 housing program. It looks like you fall in the 2nd category.
    Families with incomes between 0% and 30% of AMI constitute at least 50% of all admissions in any year and families with incomes between 31% and 80% of AMI is no more than 50% of all admissions in any year.