Section 8 guidelines for unit size

The bedroom of User:Taz92

Image via Wikipedia

So, how many bedroom unit are you entitled to as a section
8 voucher holder? It may not be as many as you think. Generally,
it’s two people per room. So if you have two daughters you could
have them live in the same bedroom , and have a bedroom for
yourself. But, let’s say you have a daughter and a son, they would
need seperate bedrooms (especially as teens!). So you need a
bedroom for yourself and one for each child. You could even have
your old aunt betty as part of your household, who would then
require her own bedroom too, which would put you in a four bedroom
situation. Therefore section 8 will take these considerations into
account. Section8 has the following standards to ensure these bases
will be covered. 0 bedrooms (studio) – 1 person 1 bedroom – 1 to 2
people 2 bedroom – 2 to 4 people 3 bedroom – 3 to 6 people 4
bedroom – 4 to 8 people 5 bedroom – 5 to 10 people 6 bedroom – 6 to
12 people

Comments

comments

Comments

1. I just got approved for my section 8 in Vallejo CA, I go for my meeting and to pick my voucher up on TuesdTuesday. I’m wondering how many bedrooms (Voucher) will they give me if I have 3 boys ages (5,10,11) and I have a 9 month old baby girl??

• A two bedroom but you can sometimes find a landlord who will give you a three for a two bedroom voucher

• It depends where you live. But most states if the kids are 5 and younger they can share a room but also once your son is 6 than he won’t be aloud to sleep in the same room as your daughter. But I’d say a three bedroom. Two people per room.. But I know my worker told me that if I find a place in my price budget I can get a three bedroom.. Because my son is 3 months and my daughter is 3 still gave me a two bedroom voucher but once my daughter is 6 I could get a three bedroom… See if its okay that you find something in your Budget.. Good luck.

• I live in michigan I have 3 boys 5,3 and a 2 month old they qualified me for a 3 bedroom only thing I dont know is how much is my voucher for any estimates

• Go to your county website in Michigan and the estimate should be on there

2. Do you need an income to get accepted? My mom is in the process of applying for Social security & I just had a baby a month ago…? If they accept me will they just make me get a job or?

• You don’t have to have a job to get approved it go by your income a job would help increase your voucher

3. Can you all helping a person with 3 kids 1adult 3kids 1 Girl age16/ 1 Boy. Age 11/ 1boy age 12 / 1Adult 35 girl she has her section 8 voucher trying to fine a house she need a 3 bedroom until she fine her in kids homeless can you help with a place to stay like now email me in let me no

4. Tiffany Brouillette says:

what’s the most section8l pay for a 2 bedroom voucher

5. I live in NYC and I’m seeking to relocate to Virginia. My rent is increasing so I’m being told to move to a lower rent two bedroom. I have my husband and one adult child plus I’m expecting a newborn in my family. I know I’m entitled to a three bedroom but want to know how much I’ll be offered when relocating to another state? My rent is $1.999 in NYC so how much would it be if I relocate? Can someone send me information… Thks

• All depending on the state or county you moving could be more or could be less go on their website and look at the voucher amounts

6. i just wanted to know if anyone know how much the two bedroom vouchers are in Merced ca?

7. What is the allotment for a 2 bd voucher??

8. I have seccion 8 in NY my vouncher is for 2 bedroom …vouncher is $1,250…. do u know how much is the vouncher for 2 bedroom in Philadelphia $$!

9. Hi i live in central mass and i was living along for a while with a 1 bedroom. I recently had a baby and added my partner on my lease. I am moving now and a new worker is telling me i would still remain in a 1br voucher because my child is not 3 yet. Is this true? I feel like i am being underhoused. 3 people in 1 room? Please let me know!

10. Brandon vaughn says:

I just got custody of my 3 children two boys and a girl and we currently live in a two bedroom of course my daughter has her own room and the boys share a room so if I am accepted for section 8 would I need to move to a 3 bedroom even though I really don’t wanna move because my landlord accepts section 8 already and note they are 4 and 5 years of age

11. Theodora Cain says:

I am considering transferring my voucher to Orlando. How many bedrooms am I entitled to? Or is it based in a certain amount?

12. natoya lewis says:

I have 3 boys and just me how many bedrooms will i get

13. Now I’m like, well duh! Truly thnafkul for your help.

14. Can you be a landlord of a Section 8 house and rent it to your Mother who has a Section 8 voucher?

• No you can’t rent to family members
      Sorry

• You can get a form called ‘reasonable recommendation’ to try rent sect. 8 to a family member. the form is online if u google it or u may need go housing office.

• reasonable recommendation’ is used for if you need a bigger place for disabled , sick,or special needs .and a doctor fills that out and mail it back. not for you to rent to a family member unless you and your mother go and find a place together not your place another landlord and you and her is on the same lease. I hope that answer your question good luck

15. penna piper says:

I live in Marin County, California and just received my one bedroom section 8 voucher yet live in a two bedroom over the max allowed.
    1. Can I use the 2nd bedroom for my counseling practice making up the difference each month?
    2. Can my 4 year current landlord evict me for not wanting the section 8 voucher ?

16. penna piper says:

actually please don’t use my real name. give a different one like my middle name Kime.
    thankyou

17. Mikal Brown says:

If it’s me and my 7 kids can I get a 5bedroom?

• No hunnie you only can get 3 or a 4 bedroom it’s 2 heartbeat to a room

• Most likely a 4 bedroom. It depends on the current budget of the area your in. They can put you in a 3 bedroom, since the living room is considered a sleeping area and you can have two people per sleeping room. Yes I understand you and a child would have to share. Again depending on budget you may be able to get a 5 bedroom. Either way you can always look for a bigger unit as long as the price is within your range. I was told I can not have a 3 bedroom voucher until we have a 7th family member. Even though I have 4 children of different sexes and their ages range from 1-14.

• Mikal Brown says:

Where you live cause I already have a 4 bedrooms??

18. latonya Holmes says:

How old can your kids be

19. Hi i live in NJ and i moved out of my mothers house. I was in her section 8 voucher and she has a 3 bedroom. They told her she needs to find a 2 bedroom as soon as possible because staying in there and pay the difference will be considered fraud?! He had told her last yr she can stay and just pay the difference. Now he says the opposite. Can this change happen in some states is that a lie?

• Nelson Rosen says:

She can stay and pay the difference IF the landlord allows it. He doesn’t have to (unless you have a signed lease)

• penna piper says:

Is that the same in CA? I was awarded the housing voucher last June for a 2 bedroom but there turned out to be no funding. When the funding did come in December, my daughter had just moved out in November. I still have a lease and want to stay and pay the difference. There are no available units in Marin County that will accept section 8.

20. Nelson… Do u live in NJ as well? I dont understand why would the guy from our local office say that? My moms landlord wants her to stay… Just weird.

21. I have an Enhanced Voucher. I am in a 3 bedroom with myself, and 2 granddaughters. They are requesting I move to a 2 bedroom in my complex. One granddaughter is 14 and the other one is 8. I had read that if there is a 5 yr age difference they can be in their own room. If they share a room it will be totally disturbing for both of them. Homework area, bedtimes and privacy for the 14yr old. If I want to stay and pay any difference would that be possible. Figuring out my rent now I realize that I am already paying 48% of my monthly income per month instead of the usual 40%. This has been going on for 10yrs already. What are my options at this point?

• There is no options it’s two heartbeats per room. Your landlord may or may not allow you to pay the difference to stay in the already three bedroom unit it’s up to your landlord to accept those terms or you can move into A 2 bedroom or find someone that will accept a 2-bedroom voucher for a 3 it all depends where you live at what county and what state. there’s no options like I said it’s two heartbeats per room on Section 8 as of this time their not doing age or sex of the child any more…. But you can request a reasonable accommodation packet and have a doctor sign it and mail it back to your worker do not take it to your work have the doctor mail it to your worker. Good luck

• I reside in Orange County, New York. My complex manager has no issue with me staying in my 3 bedroom and the figures show a probable increase of $40.00. She even said that paying the extra money is better than having to move 3 bedrooms into 2. (that is her opinion) I have been in the same place for 20yrs. With some personal cut-backs, I would be able to pay the increase. Would section 8 have a problem with that?

• No as long as the landlord agrees and the out of pocket is between you and the landlord.

22. Raad mohanad says:

Hii I’m 18 and have my mother and 2 young brothers. How many bedroom do qualifi for

23. Patricia Hayes says:

I live in Sullivan Co TN and only qualify for a 2bdrm voucher. I have a 16 year old daughter and 15 year old son and was told either they’d have to share a room or she and I would. This just doesn’t seem right to me at ALL. When I lived in VA I qualified for a 3 bdrm because of their gender. I guess in TN the mother’s privacy isn’t taken into consideration nor the children’s. Or maybe I should call someone higher up in the program.

24. Denise Parisi says:

Can anyone email me re my issue with Section 8 giving me hard time. In NC they say I have to move out of my two bedroom house since my son moved out, so can I move in anyone else besides a minor, such as my brother or aunt? They go by income of course which i am on disability. My landlord renovated the extra bedroom into a 1 bedroom and section 8, housing authority in NC is saying, that she needs to make that change at the tax office, yet City Planning, says the landlord only makes that change at tax office is if, she is adding onto the house with expenses of more than $1000, which she isnt. HUD said they cant help because Housing Authority can make up their own rules, so is that correct? email is ncsurfergal5@yahoo.com

25. Mary ann nigel says:

i am supposed to move to a one bedroom since my daughter moved out, yet my landlord renovated the house from a 2br to 1 br and even lowered my rent to a 1 br, yet section 8 says, she needs to adjust that at the tax office. Is that true? Or should she get an attorney. Hud says, section 8 can make any rules they want.

26. Jasmine collins says:

I have a 5years old son I’m pregnant with my second child(gril) I live in Indiana for an year n was able to move I have a 2 bedroom voucher I was told I can move out state when my year up so I want to move to cook country I was told with my 2 bedroom voucher I can get a 3 bedroom in my price range depending on the city but most place will not allow me to get a 3 bedroom with a 2bedroom can u please tell me why they won’t accept it when I was told I can.

27. I have a three bed voucher in Hayward Cali but it’s hard finding a place can I get a two bedroom but still have the three bedroom amount or do they use the two bed payment standard? I have two sons and a newborn so two bed right now is OK to keep my voucher u know.

28. I live in indiana with a 3 bedroom voucher i want to transfer to orlando fl but i was told i will get a 2 bedroom . I have a son who is 8 and a daughter who is 9 . They will be 9 and 10 this year. So i would like to know will i get a 3 bedroom or a 2 bedroom voucher?

• A two bedroom voucher because its two heart beats to a room they don’t go by gender or age anymore. Good luck cause I’m my mother’s caregiver and she’s a rider on my case and they tried to put us in a one bedroom until her case manager had us to do a reasonable accommodation forms by her doctor.and we also transfered to Orlando all apartments here who accepts section 8 have waiting lists so you better jump on a list now ASAP or you will be suck paying your full rent where you at now until your transfer is complete and your lease is up .

29. Shelley Reaves says:

If these tenants got legal aid to help them or an attorney sect 8 would change their tune. Complaining to your senator and governor also. Studies have shown that boys who sleep with their mother end up being Gay. Boys sleeping with their sisters etc end up committing adultery when older. Research proves it.

30. Hi I live in san Bernardino California I have a 3 bedroom its me my adult daughter n grand daughter (7) iv been here 6 years now they are down sizing me if I stay I have to pay 600$ im a school bus driver smh I can’t make that rent wat can I do?? Besides pray

31. Bernice Pearson says:

I just got my section 8 voucher in Oceanside CA for one bedroom. And I have a 14 yrs old son with me. can I get a two bedroom apartment? I was thinking to convert the living to a bedroom.

32. Maria nevarez says:

I have section 8 voucher I myself ,husband, 18 yrsold sin ,and a 10yrsold daughter how many bedrooms can I get ?

• Nelson Rosen says:

• A two bedroom a room for your husband and you and s room for both the children. Its two heartbeats per room and age and sex don’t matter any more. Unless you can find a landlord who accepts two bedroom vouchers for a three. Good luck

33. Cecelia Esquibel says:

I live on section. 8 alone. But my girlfriend. Is having my baby what do i do ..will i lose my. Voucher

• You can add her and the baby on your voucher when the baby is born as long as she’s not a felon… If she has a income then your rent will increase good luck and congratulations on the new baby

34. sharnell colter says:

I have a 3 bedroom voucher now but I will be getting custody of my neice which will be 6 on the 20th of July and my nephew who is14 years old my kids are 19 year old daughter with a 3 month old daughter my 17 and 14 year old sons what will be my voucher size once I put them on and I’m in georgia

35. Antionette says:

I just got aproved for section 8 how much would my voucher be for me and my 2 year old I know it’s only one bdrm but how much?

36. Tanika Turner says:

I go for my sec 8 apt on July 6 atlanta Ga. Want to know for a 1 bedroom how much will my voucher be and wanted to know what to expect after my apt.

37. Lastarr T Washington says:

What county is best for section 8 in Ga? Cobb Fulton county

38. Stephanie says:

I have a section 8 voucher for 2 bedroom. I’m looking to move in a house rent is 1300$ plus all utilities. My worker states it’s cutting it close to there guidelines but it does fit there budget. Am I on the verge of loosing by voucher if I go forward with renting this potential property ?

39. samantha says:

If it’s a mother and two children ages 3 and 1 in Texas how many bedrooms would she be able to get