Section 8 guidelines for unit size

The bedroom of User:Taz92

Image via Wikipedia

So, how many bedroom unit are you entitled to as a section
8 voucher holder? It may not be as many as you think. Generally,
it’s two people per room. So if you have two daughters you could
have them live in the same bedroom , and have a bedroom for
yourself. But, let’s say you have a daughter and a son, they would
need seperate bedrooms (especially as teens!). So you need a
bedroom for yourself and one for each child. You could even have
your old aunt betty as part of your household, who would then
require her own bedroom too, which would put you in a four bedroom
situation. Therefore section 8 will take these considerations into
account. Section8 has the following standards to ensure these bases
will be covered. 0 bedrooms (studio) – 1 person 1 bedroom – 1 to 2
people 2 bedroom – 2 to 4 people 3 bedroom – 3 to 6 people 4
bedroom – 4 to 8 people 5 bedroom – 5 to 10 people 6 bedroom – 6 to
12 people

Comments

comments

Comments

1. I just got approved for my section 8 in Vallejo CA, I go for my meeting and to pick my voucher up on TuesdTuesday. I’m wondering how many bedrooms (Voucher) will they give me if I have 3 boys ages (5,10,11) and I have a 9 month old baby girl??

• A two bedroom but you can sometimes find a landlord who will give you a three for a two bedroom voucher

• It depends where you live. But most states if the kids are 5 and younger they can share a room but also once your son is 6 than he won’t be aloud to sleep in the same room as your daughter. But I’d say a three bedroom. Two people per room.. But I know my worker told me that if I find a place in my price budget I can get a three bedroom.. Because my son is 3 months and my daughter is 3 still gave me a two bedroom voucher but once my daughter is 6 I could get a three bedroom… See if its okay that you find something in your Budget.. Good luck.

• I live in michigan I have 3 boys 5,3 and a 2 month old they qualified me for a 3 bedroom only thing I dont know is how much is my voucher for any estimates

• Go to your county website in Michigan and the estimate should be on there

2. Do you need an income to get accepted? My mom is in the process of applying for Social security & I just had a baby a month ago…? If they accept me will they just make me get a job or?

• You don’t have to have a job to get approved it go by your income a job would help increase your voucher

3. Can you all helping a person with 3 kids 1adult 3kids 1 Girl age16/ 1 Boy. Age 11/ 1boy age 12 / 1Adult 35 girl she has her section 8 voucher trying to fine a house she need a 3 bedroom until she fine her in kids homeless can you help with a place to stay like now email me in let me no

4. Tiffany Brouillette says:

what’s the most section8l pay for a 2 bedroom voucher

5. I live in NYC and I’m seeking to relocate to Virginia. My rent is increasing so I’m being told to move to a lower rent two bedroom. I have my husband and one adult child plus I’m expecting a newborn in my family. I know I’m entitled to a three bedroom but want to know how much I’ll be offered when relocating to another state? My rent is $1.999 in NYC so how much would it be if I relocate? Can someone send me information… Thks

• All depending on the state or county you moving could be more or could be less go on their website and look at the voucher amounts

6. i just wanted to know if anyone know how much the two bedroom vouchers are in Merced ca?

7. What is the allotment for a 2 bd voucher??

8. I have seccion 8 in NY my vouncher is for 2 bedroom …vouncher is $1,250…. do u know how much is the vouncher for 2 bedroom in Philadelphia $$!

9. Hi i live in central mass and i was living along for a while with a 1 bedroom. I recently had a baby and added my partner on my lease. I am moving now and a new worker is telling me i would still remain in a 1br voucher because my child is not 3 yet. Is this true? I feel like i am being underhoused. 3 people in 1 room? Please let me know!

10. Brandon vaughn says:

I just got custody of my 3 children two boys and a girl and we currently live in a two bedroom of course my daughter has her own room and the boys share a room so if I am accepted for section 8 would I need to move to a 3 bedroom even though I really don’t wanna move because my landlord accepts section 8 already and note they are 4 and 5 years of age

11. Theodora Cain says:

I am considering transferring my voucher to Orlando. How many bedrooms am I entitled to? Or is it based in a certain amount?

12. natoya lewis says:

I have 3 boys and just me how many bedrooms will i get

13. Now I’m like, well duh! Truly thnafkul for your help.

14. Can you be a landlord of a Section 8 house and rent it to your Mother who has a Section 8 voucher?

• No you can’t rent to family members
      Sorry

• You can get a form called ‘reasonable recommendation’ to try rent sect. 8 to a family member. the form is online if u google it or u may need go housing office.

• reasonable recommendation’ is used for if you need a bigger place for disabled , sick,or special needs .and a doctor fills that out and mail it back. not for you to rent to a family member unless you and your mother go and find a place together not your place another landlord and you and her is on the same lease. I hope that answer your question good luck

15. penna piper says:

I live in Marin County, California and just received my one bedroom section 8 voucher yet live in a two bedroom over the max allowed.
    1. Can I use the 2nd bedroom for my counseling practice making up the difference each month?
    2. Can my 4 year current landlord evict me for not wanting the section 8 voucher ?

16. penna piper says:

actually please don’t use my real name. give a different one like my middle name Kime.
    thankyou

17. Mikal Brown says:

If it’s me and my 7 kids can I get a 5bedroom?

• No hunnie you only can get 3 or a 4 bedroom it’s 2 heartbeat to a room

• Most likely a 4 bedroom. It depends on the current budget of the area your in. They can put you in a 3 bedroom, since the living room is considered a sleeping area and you can have two people per sleeping room. Yes I understand you and a child would have to share. Again depending on budget you may be able to get a 5 bedroom. Either way you can always look for a bigger unit as long as the price is within your range. I was told I can not have a 3 bedroom voucher until we have a 7th family member. Even though I have 4 children of different sexes and their ages range from 1-14.

• Mikal Brown says:

Where you live cause I already have a 4 bedrooms??

18. latonya Holmes says:

How old can your kids be