Section 8 guidelines for unit size

The bedroom of User:Taz92

Image via Wikipedia

So, how many bedroom unit are you entitled to as a section
8 voucher holder? It may not be as many as you think. Generally,
it’s two people per room. So if you have two daughters you could
have them live in the same bedroom , and have a bedroom for
yourself. But, let’s say you have a daughter and a son, they would
need seperate bedrooms (especially as teens!). So you need a
bedroom for yourself and one for each child. You could even have
your old aunt betty as part of your household, who would then
require her own bedroom too, which would put you in a four bedroom
situation. Therefore section 8 will take these considerations into
account. Section8 has the following standards to ensure these bases
will be covered. 0 bedrooms (studio) – 1 person 1 bedroom – 1 to 2
people 2 bedroom – 2 to 4 people 3 bedroom – 3 to 6 people 4
bedroom – 4 to 8 people 5 bedroom – 5 to 10 people 6 bedroom – 6 to
12 people

Comments

1. monica williams says:

I currently live in a 4 BDRM renting for a 3 bdrm price. (my voucher size) i first had a voucher size for a 2 bdrm until i had a reasonable accommodation for my 8yr old son due to medical reasons. which made my voucher size a 3 instead of a 2. however I just renewed the reasonable accommodation and they are now forcing me to place my 18yr old in the livingroom. which means I will have to move after 3yrs what’s going on?????

• Nelson Rosen says:

so they downgraded you to a 2 bedroom from a 3 bedroom voucher? how many kids do you have? what ages/genders?

2. teyoka brooks says:

I have 6 kids, 4 girls and 2 boys. How many bedrooms will i get? I applied n in the process f hopefully getting a voucher.

3. I’ve had section 8 since 2009 and was approved for the two bedroom back then. My daughter was 4 and son 2. Now my daughter is going on 10 and my son is going on 8. Would I be able to get a 3 bedroom? Is that possible?

• Nelson Rosen says:

Yes, you’d need to update the ages on the annual report, or contact your local hsa. You have a good shot.

4. I currently have a two bedroom voucher and have three boys ages 14, 10, and 6 when am I able to get a three bedroom voucher they say two ppl to a room how long so they think a six year old is suppose to be in the room with me

• Nelson Rosen says:

First, what county are you in? Every county has slightly different rules. With most counties, once the child (opposite gender only) reaches 8 years old, they can no longer sleep in the same room as the opposite sex. So in 2 years time, you may qualify. But if you have a living room they may say you have to have a pull out bed and put the kid there and still stay in a 2 bedroom.

5. Hello ,I’m a single mother of a 10 year old boy and a six year girl ,I currently have a section 8 Voucher , I’m planning on moving next year .My question is ,will my voucher be upgraded to a 3 bedroom voucher instead of 2 now that my children are a little older ?

• Nelson Rosen says:

Depends on the local guidelines to where you are moving. Some counties, yes, you will be eligible for a 3 bedrooms.

6. I am a single mom with a 16 yr old son but they will only give me a one bedroom

7. I have a daughter 21 in college and a son 13 currently I have a 3 bedroom my son is homeschooled due to his disability he sleeps in the living room since one if the bedrooms is his classroom do I qualify for a 4 bedroom I will be eligible in feb 2014 for section 8

8. Pernella Mc says:

I am 50yrs old with a 25yr old daughter and the NJ Section 8 will only give me 2bedroom with a reasonable accomodations. Yes, Section8 has awarded me my disability status, but why do I have to share a bedroom with my 25yr old daughter?

Am I not entitled to 2br voucher automatically.

• Nelson Rosen says:

I’m confused. It sounds like you did get approved for a 2 bedroom. Section 8 figures your 25 year old daughter should be able to support herself (unless she has a disability of some sort)

9. Christina b. says:

I have a 13yr old daughter. Will I be qualified for a two bedroom. And my mom is disable and i take care of her. Am I allowed to put her in the house with me and my daughter?

10. brenda lee says:

Hi im still waiting for my voucher. And im a single mother with 3 kids a girl who is
    6 a girl who is 4months and a son who is 3. Will i qualify for a 3 bedroom or a 2.?
    Thanks ,

11. I have one daughter she is 6 , will I be qualified for a two bedroom or one ?

12. I have 4 sons 18, 9, 7, 2. I ow many bdrms will I be eligible for?

13. Feelinblessed says:

I have a 2 bedroom voucher my disabled mom lives with me my 19 year old daughter her 3 yr old daughter and my 11 yr old son my daughter is now pregnant do you think ism eligible for a 3 bedroom I’m from San Diego county

14. I currently have a 2 bedroom section 8 voucher. I have a 2 yr old son and an 18 yr old son. Does section 8 allow me to have a 3 bedroom voucher or do they expect my 18 yr old and 2 yr old to share a room?

15. MALIK MSHINDA says:

I have 5 children.. 2 girls ages 15 and 11 and 3 boys ages 5, 2 and 2 months. How many bedrooms do I qualify for?

16. i am a mother of 3 twins who are 14 yrs old and a daughter that is almost 20 in college i have a 2 bedroom do i qualify for a 3 bedroom.

17. Hi i have three girls 19, 16, 6 n have a 3bdr voucher. If my 19 yr old moves out will i have to down size to a two bedroom voucher even though the girls r 16 n 6?

18. Amber Lynn says:

I have a 1 bedroom voucher and live by myself. but I just got married and want to start a family with my husband. He lives at a friends while I figure out how to add him and our new place, I’m looking for a new place in Orange County, CA. I want a 2 bedroom to set up a nursery, office/gym for the time being. Can I get a 2 bedroom now or do I have to wait until I’m pregnant?? Can a newly married couple have a 2 bedroom?? Thanks so much

19. Demetrise says:

I have a household of all females including myself 42,19,16,14&2 Im on sec8 living in a sm 2 bdrm how can I transfer 2 a bigger unit with a 2 bdrm voucher $1027.