Section 8 guidelines for unit size

The bedroom of User:Taz92

Image via Wikipedia

So, how many bedroom unit are you entitled to as a section
8 voucher holder? It may not be as many as you think. Generally,
it’s two people per room. So if you have two daughters you could
have them live in the same bedroom , and have a bedroom for
yourself. But, let’s say you have a daughter and a son, they would
need seperate bedrooms (especially as teens!). So you need a
bedroom for yourself and one for each child. You could even have
your old aunt betty as part of your household, who would then
require her own bedroom too, which would put you in a four bedroom
situation. Therefore section 8 will take these considerations into
account. Section8 has the following standards to ensure these bases
will be covered. 0 bedrooms (studio) – 1 person 1 bedroom – 1 to 2
people 2 bedroom – 2 to 4 people 3 bedroom – 3 to 6 people 4
bedroom – 4 to 8 people 5 bedroom – 5 to 10 people 6 bedroom – 6 to
12 people

Comments

1. Starmesha Prater says:

I want to know can I move in my own apartment at the age 16 with my son. My son is 2 months old.

2. betania rojas says:

Can you please tell me If a person receives section 8 in NJ, can the transfer it to Puerto Rico or the USVI?

3. Margarita Perez says:

I currently have section 8 for 2 bd but i was told if i move i have to get a 1bd for my disable 32year old son and myself is that correct

• Nelson Rosen says:

Shouldn’t make a difference if you are moving within the same county. If you are moving to another county you have to abide by their rules and you may only qualify for a 1 bedroom there.

• My voucher is for a two bedroom my son is disabled severe autism I use one of the bedrooms as his class and therapy for Counsoling visits I currently have a 3 bedroom but section 8 reduced to a 2 bed for more money than what I’m paying now
      Does that make any sense to me it don’t sound rite

4. I two bedroom voucher but found a place in NEVADA for a three bedroom for my voucher price can I get the place if landlord is willing to take it

• Nelson Rosen says:

I need more information. Where do you live now?

• San Bernardino county
      Barstow ca 92311

• So I do qualify for a three bedroom I will contact my local section 8 office today
      Thanks

• Catherine says:

Yes you can. I know for sure that in Jacksonville, FL you are allowed to get however many bedrooms are within your voucher’s amount. However, you are solely responsible for paying the difference of the extra bedroom(s). I hope that this helps you.

5. I currently live in new braunfels tx and have a 2bd voucher i have a 10yr daughter, 9yr son,8yr daughter, twin 7yr girls. I dont understand why my voucher is for a 2bdrm. Im porting out to houston tx next month. My i receive a larger voucher? 6 people in a 2bdrm doesnt seem right. Even when i have looked for places i was denied over and over because i was told a 2bdrm was incorrect. Please help!!

• If I may add to your question section 8 makes up their own rules, you shoul be qualified for at least 3 bedroom if not a 4, section 8 change their rules as they go to accomadate those who are in much needed need, I don’t understand it neither I’m having the same problem here in Cali
      I wish you luck hope all goes well for you and your family

• Rhonda says:

@Yolli thank you. I will pray for you and your situation that everything goes well. I wont complain even if we are Crammed into a 2bdrm im still thankful to have a roof over our heads.

• Catherine says:

Yes Rhonda, that is in a way kind of unbelievable! But, the way that things are getting with these Section 8 Vouchers, I surely can dig it. I know that if you moved here to Jacksonville, FL, you would definitely qualify for at lease a three. As a matter of fact, a four being that here it is two heartbeats to a room, regardless of a age or gender.

• Rhonda read my posts and sweetheart whatever you do don’t I mean don’t move to Jacksonville Florida any where but here. And I hope you the best in you search of a place for you and yours

6. Sheila says:

Can I switch from a four bedroom voucher to a three bedroom? Because of difficult circumstances it has become hard to find a 4 bedroom and we need to move ASAP.

• Nelson Rosen says:

You don’t need to downgrade your voucher. Just look for a 3 bedroom and you can use your 4 bedroom voucher there. Your voucher means UP TO 4 bedrooms.

7. This program is only beneficial to those on government assistance, I’m on low income housing now and section 8 wants to downsize my three bedrom to s two for more money. I am low income, I waited so long to get positive results on getting my two children out of an apartment.
    This is really sad, I am disabled with health problems as well as my son

• Go to your housing authority and request paper work for your doctor to fill out and have the doctor MAIL IT BACK NO YOU now

8. chinika says:

I have 5 bedroom voucher but cant find a place can I use it for 4 bedroom if the landlord is willing to accept?

9. chinika says:

Portability specialist at DCA Ga stated if I have a 5 bedroom I have to move in a 5 bedroom it’s so hard to find only room size I see is 4 bedroom and they’re willing to take my voucher

10. Malinda Smith says:

We are a family of 4: 1 adult(single mom) and 3 children ages 13,9, and 6. I went to my annual resertifaction meeting and was told I may have to down size. We currently have a 3 bedroom town house, and may have to go to a 2 bedroom something else. My daughters(ages 13,and 9) already share a bedroom, my son (age 6) has his own room, and I have the smallest room as mine. My question is how can we be expected to go to a smaller 2 bedroom, I thought that with having a male child of certain age they could not by federal HUD law be placed with a female child of a certain age. My teenage and almost tween age daughters already are cramped for space, and now my have to go to an even smaller room, how is that a possibility? If you could shed some light on this, it is greatly appreciated. I was hoping to be able to stay in the unit we have, providing the land lord agrees, is that a possibility?

11. I currently live in Jacksonville Florida and Catherine your information is incorrect. I’m on section 8 with a disabled mother we had to get her doctors to verify that we needed a two bedroom or they was trying to put to adults in a one bedroom. Yes it is two heartbeat to one room here which is so Illegal but no one have the courage to speak up. My cousin who also on section 8 had a two bedroom they made her move into a one bedroom with a 12 year old son. Who does that , but that’s how they doing it now sad but true.

12. I am currently a single mother attending school I have a section 8 interview this week coming up. I have 5 children boy’s 8, 3 and 2. have two girls age 6 and 11 months. I am in NYC and would like to know how much would my voucher be since I want to start looking now. We are in a 1 bedroom.

• It all depends on the housing authority in your area do to the two heart beat rule

13. Valarie says:

I’m currently living in Ms transferring to Jacksonville, Fla soon I was wondering would my section 8 voucher go up since Florida’s price of living is higher and how much. I have a 2 bedroom voucher.

• Nelson Rosen says:

yes the voucher amount will likely go up slightly, depending on county. Check with the local HA in the county you are considering porting to.

• Only if you have a source of income cause Jacksonville isn’t absorb so Ms have to pay your rent here.

14. Stephanie says:

If I am a person who has section8 in the state of Michigan, but have a felonies charge over 7 years old that was caught in Illinois, and I wanted to transfer it back home would that be possible.