Section 8 guidelines for unit size

The bedroom of User:Taz92

Image via Wikipedia

So, how many bedroom unit are you entitled to as a section
8 voucher holder? It may not be as many as you think. Generally,
it’s two people per room. So if you have two daughters you could
have them live in the same bedroom , and have a bedroom for
yourself. But, let’s say you have a daughter and a son, they would
need seperate bedrooms (especially as teens!). So you need a
bedroom for yourself and one for each child. You could even have
your old aunt betty as part of your household, who would then
require her own bedroom too, which would put you in a four bedroom
situation. Therefore section 8 will take these considerations into
account. Section8 has the following standards to ensure these bases
will be covered. 0 bedrooms (studio) – 1 person 1 bedroom – 1 to 2
people 2 bedroom – 2 to 4 people 3 bedroom – 3 to 6 people 4
bedroom – 4 to 8 people 5 bedroom – 5 to 10 people 6 bedroom – 6 to
12 people

Comments

1. Thank you. My daughter is 12 and my son is 7. and I am 5 months pregnant now. Should I contact my section 8 worker?

2. Can a adult child be added back on ..

3. What about if two kids and one parent son is 15 and daughter is 13 will be 14 in dec. 2013 can the daughter have her own room? in a 3 bedroom house?

4. Ashley Thompson says:

I currently live in a 1 bedroom section 8 apartment in NYC with my almost 5 year old daughter. Is my daughter eligible for her own room at a certain age?

5. i have a 10yr old an 6 yr old both girls, and a 5 month old boy thinking or relocation to tampa florida. i am looking at perspective homes and wondering if i should look up a 4 or a 3 bedroom. would it be more likely to look for a 3 or 4?

6. Darlene Berstler says:

I am 67 year old and applied to section almost 4 years ago.
    I have health problems and refuse to go to a shelter.
    The stories scare me. I’ve tried everything I could think of to get
    an apartment in a safe neighborhood, I resent the fact that some druggie or
    Welfare fraud will get a place before me. The elderly and disabled should get
    some priority. I am desperate and no one seems to care. My land lords want me out
    of my rented room NOW. They need my room for their expanding family. I am an
    good renter. I do not drink, smoke, do drugs, have parties or pets. I even asked a
    congressmen for help. I keep praying for help, but none comes. I am begging for help. A clean apartment in a safe neighborhood doesn’t seem like a lot to ask for. I have no where else to go, no one can take me in. Is there anyone in Pennsylvania who can help me ?????

• Nelson Rosen says:

In some counties, Senior citizens and disabled individuals receive priority on the Section 8 waiting list. I would go into your local HA office and see what they can do for you.

7. I have a 4 year old daughter and just had a newborn boy November of 2013. My lease is up in April and I am currently on section 8..will I be able to get a 3 bedroom in April of 2014?

8. I have a 4 year old daughter and just had a newborn boy November of 2013. My lease is up in April and I am currently on section 8..will I be able to get a 3 bedroom in April of 2014? If not how old will my sob need to be before he can have his own room?

9. Hi. I live in california. I have a voucher for a two bedroom. It is myself(33 year old female) my son who is 11 and I just had a baby , she is two months old and a girl. Am i elgible for a three bedroom? Also can i add my daughters father to my case . We are not msrried. Would that make me elgible for a three bedroom? Thank you.

10. Hello. I just got a notice to move before June 2014 from my landlord. I currently living in a 4 bedroom place with my teenage son (19), a daughter that is in college (20 turning 21 in March) and 6 year old daughter. I had 2 more daughters when I first got this place, but one has moved after college and another got married. I am currently looking for places in California and was wondering whether I should be looking for 3 or 4 bedrooms.

11. trina sue says:

IN CALIFORNIA, ALAMEDA COUNTY THEY DO NOT ALLOW A SEPARATE BEDROOM PER CHILD REGUARDLESS OF SEX OR AGE ITS 2 PER BEDROOM HOWEVER SOME COUNTYS DO. DO YOU KNOW WHAT COUNTIES ALLOW THIS? I HAVE A BOY AND GIRL AGES 7 AND ONE YEARS OLD

• Nelson Rosen says:

There is no listing for which counties do and which don’t, it varies. But most will let you switch them to a separate bedroom when the children are 10 or older.

12. Can I have my husband, 18 year old son, 12 year old son, mother 69 and my father. How much rooms will i need to rent with section 8?

13. Hello. I just got a notice to move before June 2014 from my landlord. I currently living in a 4 bedroom place with my teenage son (19), a daughter that is in college (20 turning 21 in March) and 6 year old daughter. I had 2 more daughters when I first got this place, but one has moved after college and another got married. I am currently looking for places in California and was wondering whether I should be looking for 3 or 4 bedrooms.

14. Audrey-May McDonough says:

I have a son and I am 5 months pregnant with a daughter would I get a three bedroom right now and plus im on bedrest so no income currently.
    -may from Pontiac mi-

15. i have a 3 bed room voucher and im planning to move to florida i have 5 kids one whos 18 yr old boy, 17 yr old daughter ,14 year old daughter , 9 year old son and a 1 yr old daughter do i qualify for a 4 bedroom voucher out there?

16. I have a 13 year old son w ADD. 7 year old son. 2 year old son. I am expecting a baby boy in a few months. My question it’s do wee continue to stay in a 3 br after the baby is born or should I call my worker to move to a 4br?

17. I have a two bedroom voucher and 3 boys 7,1,and newborn .. do I qualify for a 3 bedroom voucher?

18. i have a 2 bd voucher my son is 11 and my daughter is 6 can i get a 3 bedroom voucher?

19. Scorpio Williams says:

I currently live in Nj i have a 2 bedroom voucher for me my 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter this coming June I’ll be adding a newborn baby girl that I’m pregnant with now and my 14 year old daughter will i qualify for a 3 or 4 bedroom since my eldest is a teenager

20. Doris Ariyibi says:

I am feeling some kind of a way about the new status of portability. Can not find a city or state that is absorbing payments. Feeling stuck in Indiana, I am a senior citizen who has arthritis bad and this cold weather is causing plenty aches and pains, I need a warm climate but if it’s housing cost is more than Indiana I’m just stuck. This has become a system of stay, deal, or die. Need information

21. I live in tennessee. I have a 14yr old boy,10yr old boy9ur old gorl and a 7,yr old boy hpw many bedrooms do I qualify for

22. Hello, I have 2 adult sons , one 28 and one 22, including me that is 3 adults, am I eligible for 3 bedroom voucher in state of california ?

23. Hello…. I have a question, I have a daughter who will be 6 and a son who will be 10 this year and I’m currently living in a two bedroom apartment in NY ,I want to know if I was to ask for a transfer ,will I be eligible for a three bedroom apartment considering I have two children of opposite sex??

24. Keshara R. says:

Hello im currently pregnant with a baby girl amd I’m in a two bedroom apartment in VA, will I have to move into a three bedroom? Already have two boys to a room. If I do need a three can I settle for a spacious two bedroom if unable to find a three in time before lease is up?

25. hello, i would like to know what size bedroom do you think i would get with my voucher if Im 32 years old with a son whose 15 years old?

• Nelson Rosen says:

The size of the bedroom depends on the actual apartment you’re looking at. You would be eligible for a 2 bedroom.

26. I have a son that’s 17 and a daughter thats 9 and a 4 month old daughter my lease up in June 2014 I’m in the state of Florida will I be able to get approve for a 3 bedroom

27. Robert Soto says:

I have 2 boys one 9 the other 18 i also have three girls 1,14 and 17 how many bedroom am i entitled to?

28. I have 3 boys under the age of 9… would I qualify for a 3 bedroom?

29. sakinah britt says:

i have a 10year old son and a 1year old daughter and a new born daughter would i be qualified for a three bedroom

30. I live in long beach california and have had section 8 voucher for 2 years and this month they changed my unit size from 2 to 1 bdrm. My daughter 13 and myself are tenants and my husband and I were divorced in 2012, they say that two people only qualify for 1 bdrm, what can I do?

31. what does moderation mean?

32. I want to know if its me and my 14yr old daughter how many bedrooms am i qualified for in NC?

33. I am living in NYC i have a section 8 voucher for a zero bed room but i have a 1 bed room but i will be having a daughter in 2 days and was wondering if i can get a 2 bed room voucher because she is gonna be living with me

34. Hi, how many bedrooms will I qualify for at my upcoming meeting for me and my three boys 18 still in school, 11 and 3 my disabled god daughter 24 and I’m guardian of my newborn nephew? I am new and could I move to a different state now or have to wait a year? Thank you

35. There is a 3 people in the home…..1 is disbled and gets a room to their self…then their is a 23 year old woman and a 8 year old boy who will be 9 in june……Do i qualify for a 3 bedroom or will they make the 23 yr old female and 8 yr old male sleep in the same room?

36. Hi, how many bedrooms will I qualify for at my upcoming meeting for me and my three boys 18 still in school, 11 and 3 my disabled god daughter 24 and I’m guardian of my newborn nephew? I am new and could I move to a different state now or have to wait a year? Thank you 6 people total

37. maria rivera says:

I am porting to osceola county fl. I have an 18 yr old son, 17 yr old daughter whos pregnant , 14 yr old daughter, 9 yr old son a 1 yr old daughter and myself how many bedrooms will i qualify for? Ty