Section 8 guidelines for unit size

The bedroom of User:Taz92

Image via Wikipedia

So, how many bedroom unit are you entitled to as a section
8 voucher holder? It may not be as many as you think. Generally,
it’s two people per room. So if you have two daughters you could
have them live in the same bedroom , and have a bedroom for
yourself. But, let’s say you have a daughter and a son, they would
need seperate bedrooms (especially as teens!). So you need a
bedroom for yourself and one for each child. You could even have
your old aunt betty as part of your household, who would then
require her own bedroom too, which would put you in a four bedroom
situation. Therefore section 8 will take these considerations into
account. Section8 has the following standards to ensure these bases
will be covered. 0 bedrooms (studio) – 1 person 1 bedroom – 1 to 2
people 2 bedroom – 2 to 4 people 3 bedroom – 3 to 6 people 4
bedroom – 4 to 8 people 5 bedroom – 5 to 10 people 6 bedroom – 6 to
12 people

Comments

1. I am 26 yrs old and I am on a 3 room voucher with my family 2 brothers and mother . My mother is trying to kick me out because she is upset with me . I don’t have a job right now . Can she legally kick me out .. Please help

2. I’m confused I live in NC where I have a 2 bedroom voucher because I have a 7 year old son. I was just absorbed to VA where I was down graded to a 1 unit voucher. Could you explain to me why??

3. I have a 6 yr old son and a 10 yr old daughter. Will i be able to get a three bedroom. My kids are getting older. I , live in the state of delaware.

4. Pamela Johnson says:

Qualify for 3 bedroom voucher. Found a 4 bedroom within the 3 bedroom voucher amount. Will I qualify?

5. Im on sec 8 in califorina I have two boys 9-&8 i understand they will share a room but i also have a small child who is also a boy he is 17months old will he be forced to join the other two and then will i have three boys all in one room

• Nelson Rosen says:

He will have to stay in your room if you don’t want him with the other boys.

6. I currently live in Birmingham, Alabama and am on section 8. I have been on the program since 2007 and at that time was giving a 2 bedroom voucher for myself and my then 7 year old son. In 2012. Since then, I have given birth to a daughter, who is now 2 yrs old as of 12/2014. I am now expecting a son April 2015. Will I then be eligible for a 3 bedroom voucher?

7. My son is 14 years old, he will be 15 in 10/2015 and my daughter will be 3 in 12/15. Or will my daughter and newborn son have to both share a room with me?

8. Maritza Perez says:

I have a 24yr old daughter and a 26 yr old son..yet they say I qualiy onlt for a two bedroom voucher. HOW?

• Nelson Rosen says:

Really it should only be for one. Consider yourself lucky. After 18, they are no longer considered kids. Unless they are physically or mentally impaired.

9. Danielle says:

I currently have a 3 bedroom voucher I recently gain custody of my nieces and nephew I now have a total of 7 children will I qualify for a 5 bedroom

10. I have two daughter 8 and 2 month will I get a 2 bed room and do they consider a living room a bed room

11. I live in jersey city nj and i have 8 year old boy and a 15 year old with a 2 bedroom and a up grade my voc to a 3 bedrrom?

12. I live in Massachusetts and I currently live in a 2 bedroom apartment. I have a 13 year old and 19 year old boy. I shared my room with my husband , while the kids share their room.
    Do you think I can get 3 bedroom?

13. Hi I have a daughter who is 3 and a son that is 5 do I qualify for 3 bedroom

14. I live in NJ. I have a 3 bedroom voucher. I found a 4 bedroom house. Which is under the price for 3 bedroom . Will they give it to me?

• Nelson Rosen says:

So the asking price for the 4 bedroom is less than the total amount of your 3 bedroom voucher? If that’s the case I don’t see why they wouldn’t rent it to you. Nice Find!

15. Ashley Gant says:

If I have a girl (5) and a boy (2) how many rooms will I get on section 8

16. Diana Ramos says:

I have 6 kids 3 girls and 3 boys boy 13 yrs boy 9 yrs boy 5 months girl 11 yrs girl 7 yrs girl 4 yrs old how many bedroom should I get from section 8 in nyc bronx?

17. I live in California, have a 3 bdrm voucher which includes daughter (29) son (24) myself (62) and granddaughter (6 1/2) if my son moves out, will I lose my 3 bdrm status, or be able to keep it?