Section 8 Application / Wait List Emergency Tip

Speaking to a tenant of mine, I just found out a tip on how to get on to the top of the Section 8 waiting list almost immediately. I’d like to share it with you.

The tenant told me she was able to bypass the waiting list by living in a Shelter and then applying. Apparently those in Shelters are considered a higher priority. However you need to make the effort to get to a case worker and let them know about the situation. Almost all shelters will provide you with a letter of need that you can take to section 8. If its a long wait list or the wait list is closed make your case known. This is especially helpful in smaller towns where the wait list is not as huge.

This is obviously not for the faint of heart, but sometimes the financial burden of paying rent is just too much to bare. The tenant is actually happy she did it. She is in a much better situation now and can choose any house or apartment of her liking.

I’d like to know your feedback on this.

[poll id=”3″]

Comments

comments

Comments

1. I mean I applied in a line for 8 hours in the cold with my newborn in 2010 here it is 2015 why haven’t I heard nothing back I stay in Rockingham nc I don’t know what to do I have 4 kids I just want better for them

2. Back in 2007 while pregnant with my first child I applied and have been on the waitlist since then I’ve had another child and have been goin from house to house for the past couple months is there anything I can do to try and speed up the process without having to stay at a shelter

• Nelson Rosen says:

Not really, unfortunately.

• Kimberly says:

You don’t have to stay at a homeless shelter in order for a homeless letter to be given. Go to the Salvation Army or whatever shelters are near you and tell them that you applied for section 8 and you are now homeless staying from couch to couch. They will provide you with a letter.

3. I’ve been trying to put in the application for housing, but nothing is available here in Sacramento. It’s hard because me and my daughter have been here with my Mom and she wants me out because I can barely pay her my portion of the rent. The SHRA (Sacramento Housing Redevelopment Agency) were no help and just said “There might not be anything available.” I work and go to school, but the money just isn’t enough. I don’t want to go into a shelter. Is there any other way to get some assistance?

4. Jason Strick says:

That would be totally confidential. The only thing you could do is ask them for their documentation or proof of receipt from the local housing authority.

5. Ruth Schwarz says:

Thank you so much for your prompt response!

6. Hi, I just finished reading your story. I am recently divorced with 2 children and am finding very hard to make ends meet. I admire your will power, I am trying to get on section 8, however I dont think I am able to do what you did. Especially since my girls are 12 and 16. I would not want to put them through that. If you know of any other short cuts for Section 8 please let me know. I am happy everything is working out for you now. Take Care

7. laurasection8 says:

You must call 311. This Customer Service Center provides non-emergency government information and services. It might not be Section 8 but they should be able to help you with shelter and keeping your child.

8. laurasection8 says:

You keep updating the site with most current info. You can also click here for more info http://www.section8facts.com/?p=523

9. Natalia Calderon says:

Hello people,

I’ve got some tips for you regarding low income housing wait lists.

You can move up on the wait list if you are living in a place that accepts section 8 vouchers. Go to your local housing authority office or mail-in your updated information. Update your information often as well.

There are also apartments in most areas that are Multifamily Subsidized Housing Projects. There is a wait list, but its years shorter than the section 8 wait list. These apartments are income based. You will only be paying 30% of your income.

Hope this helps.