Speaking to a tenant of mine, I just found out a tip on how to get on to the top of the Section 8 waiting list almost immediately. I’d like to share it with you.
The tenant told me she was able to bypass the waiting list by living in a Shelter and then applying. Apparently those in Shelters are considered a higher priority. However you need to make the effort to get to a case worker and let them know about the situation. Almost all shelters will provide you with a letter of need that you can take to section 8. If its a long wait list or the wait list is closed make your case known. This is especially helpful in smaller towns where the wait list is not as huge.
This is obviously not for the faint of heart, but sometimes the financial burden of paying rent is just too much to bare. The tenant is actually happy she did it. She is in a much better situation now and can choose any house or apartment of her liking.
I’d like to know your feedback on this.
- Oakland california section 8 wait list set to open
- Section 8 Application Florida Contacts
- How many hours working minimum wage to afford an Apt? Where does your state rank?
- Section8 “Waiting List Lottery” opens. 40,000 Names to Be chosen for WAIT LIST?
- Way to go Oregon! New bill to ban discrimination against Section 8 renters!