PORTABILITY – General Facts

Housing Choice Vouchers are accepted by cities across the country, giving families real choice about where they live. In the Housing Choice Voucher Program the rental assistance is “portable,” which means, it “moves” with you.

Portability allows you to move with continued assistance to any housing authority in the country that has a Housing Choice voucher program.

Important Portability Facts

• Each housing authority has its own rules, regulations and deadlines that you must follow.
  • Fair Market Rent limits or payment standards may be different.
  • The utility allowance may be different and may affect the rent amount you pay.
  • Subsidy standards may be different.
  • The new housing authority will issue you a different voucher, which may change the size (number of bedrooms).
  • When you move the new housing authority will re-verify your income.
  • When you transfer to another Housing Authority they may re-verify your household income, family composition and require a recent criminal background check.
  • If you are new to the Housing Choice Voucher Program and have not previously received rental assistance, your income must meet the Income Eligibility Limits of the area where you are transferring.

Comments

comments

Comments

1. Rainleegen seems to have a “you people are lazy” disposition. They seem to have a “shut up and take what is given you, because you are not “entitled” ” republican positioning their posts. Here is the thing…We are living in a country where the Very very very very rich corporations are asking themselves, “How can we pay the very least possible, with the fewest hours so as to not pay healthcare to full timers…cheapen what we are paying the chinese to make our product, and get that worker to do the previous work done by two because I dont want to hire”. Couple that with “I feel I dont want to hire people of certain races, ages, or with criminal backgrounds regardless of when it was done, because I got some kinda hang up”…and we have a country that never wants to hire, not worried about selling more product, but interested in making cheaper products and steal all the profits, with total disregard into placing money into the workers, yet willing to spend a cool million on a single superbowl commercial.
    You cant complain about people’s use of varies services when you are not pushing to either make it EXTREMELY easy to start businesses, or you are not assuring Employment discrimination is EXTREMELY HARD to perpetrate. Right now, its EXTREMELY HARD to prove Discrimination with the EEOC because they openly state that they cant take every case due to budgets, And lawyers will never take the cases even if you have proof, because they know the corporations have money to run up a bill that YOU wont be able to counter with to pay YOUR lawyer. So you better have a class action where they can get a lot of money and you get nothing.

NO ONE HERE would pick sec 8 over having a well paying place of employment. NO ONE likes working for low pay. But there are actually assistance programs that demand that you are NOT in college!

So ….stop talking like people are acting like “entitlement kings”, unless YOUR JOB is willing to hire that person EQUALLY, regardless of age, color, or sex, AND are offering a pay that can actually pay a rent. But if youre talking crazy to all these people, yet when you look around at your place of employment and see your Job that required NO college education, has predominately a white population, yet youre in a location that has minorities all over the place? YOU have no room to say a singe negative word to ANYONE on ANY assistance program, because youre part of the problem.

• Nelson Rosen says:

Wow. Not sure if you realize but I am the owner of this site. How exactly do I have a “you people are lazy” mentality? I created this site to allow for free flowing information to help those interested in section 8 housing.

What have YOU done? Exactly.

• Right On!! ✊✊

2. How long for a emergency portability transfer

• Nelson Rosen says:

No such thing (that I know of)

• I had emergency portability from PR to Rochester NY the set it up the same day…came to rochester april 9th and april 14 had my house…how cool is that

• I have a medical illness and I see a specialist. I just received a voucher in another state. Could I could request an emergency transfer before moving to the other state? Were you successful at your emergency transfer request? What did you have to do?

3. Melanie Hellwig says:

I live in Phoenix I’m with section 8 and I’m wanting to transfer to Apache Junction for Pinal County so I can be closer to help my parents however I can’t afford to go any deeper than Apache Junction into Pinal County without having to change over my access my medical providers and everything else since it would be out of Maricopa County. What I’d like to know is what happens if i cant find a place in the area i want and ive allready put in my notice to move out and already started the portabillity packet? I have a little over 2mo before my lease is up where i live now, so should i FIRST find a place before going any further and can Apartment Finders help me with this?

4. I’m transferring to a different county I had a transfer briefing today in my current county how long does it usually take to get a voucher from the new county I have to be out of my unit 31st of this month

5. I really need to know would the housing authority let me use the portability option as soon as they approve me for a voucher because the city is very far away from everything i do and Ive been taking care an older lady for the pass 5 yrs and I don’t wanna just move 2 hrs away for a year. What reasoning would be good enough for them to let you port without staying in their jurisdiction for a year?

• Nelson Rosen says:

None. You need to wait a minimum of one year. No exceptions that I know of.

• Nakia gordon says:

No you have to live in the county at least 2 years before u get to move

• Well that’s not true because they told me one year, so since you were wrong about that, then maybe I do have some other options as far as porting sooner…

• Tateanna Ferguson says:

I don’t want to move from Georgia

• HUD has changed it’s rules (this year I believe) you no longer have to wait a year to move IF you already have a residing address in the state that you signed up for assistance in. So you should be fine to move as soon as you get your voucher especially if you are only looking to move to a different city, not state.

• Shakeva dalton says:

Kay.. Have you had any information on porting sooner??? As I am looking to port sooner too. Please let me know

• I emailed the Public housing authority directors association and a rep emailed me back saying that if a housing authority require the one year stay in their jurisdiction, they can take into consideration your situation and make a choice to let you use the portability early to their discretion… Its not mandatory. The portability process is sort of a headache asvfar as the paperwork, the wait, cost etc, so they try not to go through with it.

• Prettygirl says:

I had my intake today & received my voucher. The rules did change. You Have be a resident of the county your currently in for 1 year before they will let you port. I.e I moved to Dallas Texas in Jan 2014. I received my voucher today December 10 2015. My voucher will expire in 90 days. Soo I qualify to port in 1 month. I want to move it to Houston its closer to my mom. I asked if I can move my mom in to help with the kids. The Lady said “as long as the person you move in can pass a criminal background check” she said mom, dad, husband, lover, ext. Your rent amount will be diffrent because they will add in their income. Hope this helps

6. Im from Texas and I inquired about a apartment that’s in Burleson Tx, I’m able to use my voucher in Burleson but the apartment landlord stated that I would have to port my voucher to Tarrant county. The thing is I was told my search packet is for Johnson county. This is my first time with housing assistance and I’m a little confused because the housing authority also said i had to reside in there area for aleast a yr before moving counties or is it those particular apartments and that there so close to Tarrant county thats the jurisdiction that it falls under…….. HELP!!!!!

• Sherry Hull says:

ONLY LISTEN TO SECTION 8 OFFICE PERSONNEL BECAUSE THEY CONTROL WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN’T DO. DON’T LISTEN TO LANDLORDS THEY MAYBE TRYING TO GET YOU TO GO AWAY OR WHATEVER. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ASK SECTION 8 PERSONNEL ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE ELSE COUNTS.

7. What’s the worst apartments to move to with a section 8 voucher in Tampa Florida?

8. I want to move I only been on section 8 a year they said I can not port back to Texas can I what can I do not to loose my section 8 voucher

9. i live in va and im trying to port sec 8 to nc but can not port to greensboro do anybody know of any cities in nc that will allow me to transfer va section 8

10. I’m porting from Los Angeles city for a job in Ontario. Do anyone know the quickest way to find a place. I’m not familiar with San Bernardino at all. I’d like to live in Ontario, Fontana or rancho cucamongo.

11. Shakeva dalton says:

I’m in (Shelbyville Illinois) I have worked the last 8yrs straight.. I was approved for public housing 4/17/2015 and was told to pick up my section 8 voucher Aug 5 of this year 2015. Since then I been renting an section 8 apartment.. With no job only income is unemployment.. My question is can I port my vochur back to Chicago sooner? I have no help , no real income at all and my main focus is supporting my son.

• You need to go a talk to your housing worker about your concerns and issues and maybe she/he will take it into consideration and let you move back to Chicago.

12. Crystal Stewart says:

Question: I want to move from Ga to MD…is it possible for me to do that since the payment standard here is much lower? I’ve had section 8 here in Ga for 8yrs..andbi originally ported out of NJ. I want to move back closer to my family but not actually move IN to nj…

• Crystal
      You can move your voucher to Maryland as long as the city you are looking to move in will allow you to port in. As far as the payment standards it will increase according the payment standards for the Maryland.

13. I got on section 8 last Dec my son is on disability he’s 29 now. They said we was only eligible for one bedroom in Mahalia Co Iowa. I talked to Marion Co we could get 2 be so we ported there. We need to move because landlord was over charging us we had 2 wks to look for another place had no money and cldnt find a place tht didn’t want 25 for applications fees. End up on the day we was to be vacated fond apt ended up being a bug drug place people running in and out all night section 8 says we can’t port back out till Jan 17

• Sherry Hull says:

First you are mother and son it is illegal to say you must have a one bedroom. You can’t be in the same room or one sleep in the living room.
      Second the landlord can’t over charge you if you are on Section 8. Section 8 determines if rent is too high or he wants to raise it too high. Higher than market value. Landlord can’t do that. You can’t pay extra rent above what Section 8 says is your share. If they catch you paying him more than what is on your lease with Sec. 8 you will lose Sec 8 all together. If landlord says you must pay him more directly let section 8 know. He will be in trouble and you won’t lose you Section 8 forever. Landlord can’t raise rent without notifying Section 8 first. They must give 30 or more notice to section 8 than they notify you. Section 8 is suppose to ok any move and inspect any new apt. before you get an ok from them to move in. Something sounds fishy in you situation. Sorry. Just fight for yourself and don’t let landlords bully you. Ask section 8 about anything a landlord says before doing anything. you shouldn’t move without section 8 ok even in the same town or same apartment complex.
      good luck

14. christine casrter says:

Im looking for a one bedroom clean home or apt in colorado springs area. Or at least close to the springs and i have a 5.6lb poodle very good dog 4years old. Iam a clean freak dont have any negative rental reviews. Im from boston,very good tenant.
    Sincerely
    CHRISTINE CARTER
    I DO HAVE A SECTION 8 VOUCHER
    978 908 9177

15. I am from kankakee Il, and I want to move to Minnesota I have had section 8 for about 4 years now, I was told the voucher size for Minnesota has changed and any one can port in with there section 8 I wanted to know how true this was. I am trying to move in May of 2016 if i could get some help with this it would be great.

• Shakeva dalton says:

It’s true. 100℅ I believe all states are doing it. I actually called minsota and was told they are porting. Call them and find out. If you want to be sure

16. Anyone knows how long it takes to port to Los Angeles County? Plz am porting from WV
    Merry Christmas

17. Rhodesia Franklin says:

• Rhodesia Franklin says:

I just received my voucher in October and I’m not able to find anything in that county so is it possible I can take it to my hometown and use there even though I did not receive it there it only been 2 months and I still having problems finding something….. Smh

• Nelson Rosen says:

18. veronica head says:

Hello I have a question I am wanting to port my voucher from SC to MD and I am really stressing because I don’t know how long the process will be….. anybody know how long the process normally takes

19. Jen Williams says:

I’m currently trying to port my section 8 to Orlando, Florida from Minnesota. Does anyone know how long the port process will take? Also I have three boys(ages)12,7,4 and two girls(ages)10,2…does anyone know how much my voucher amount will be for a family of 6???

20. I’m from chicago, if i port to maricopa county AZ (Or anywhere for that matter) , and i move there and rent a place that isn’t section 8 (but welcomes vouchers) , (while i’m waiting for the paperwork to go through,) and then it goes through and then i can just use the voucher rather than paying so much of my ssi towards rent, my question is will the fact that i rented out of pocket and didn’t wait for Section 8, automatically remove me from the section 8 program? do i have to literally wait for the entire section 8 process to happen before i go anywhere, port out, etc… ?

• Nelson Rosen says:

No, you can move out in the meantime.

• No dont do that you could easily lose your sect 8 based on a lot of factors you voucher may not cover that specific location, may not pass inspection, may not be under the sect 8 program etc. Just be patient it only takes about 2 weeks for them. My voucher was ported to them yesterday and i will be interviewing to pick up my voucher in about 1 to 2 weeks

21. Jen Williams says:

22. Megan Downing says:

We’re trying to port out of Leesburg Florida we came here from nh and it’s horrible we got the ok to port out we have only been here 3 months and good family spots in north Carolina that won’t take every thing we have like Florida did how is it there and the help thank you family of 6 and service dog looking for a house

23. I’m looking to move to broward county does anyone know how long it will take I have sec8 I put my papers in to port in

• My understanding is that your current, as well as the County that you would move to require a minimum of 30 days notice.
      Your current County Housing Choice Voucher contact person will be able to answer your questions more specifically.
      Wishing you well with your move!
      Nina

24. Hello!
    I am a single 55yr old Lady
    My Housing Choice Voucher is portable.
    I live in Mn, but would like to move to a ‘Disabled Friendly’
    County, possibly in southern area of Colorado.
    I have difficulties with memory and organizing.
    I would appreciate any advice regarding ; Assistance/Advocacy getting the process started, and Counties that would accept the HCV, as well as Affordable Housing.
    my only income is Soc Sec Disability.
    good day to you!

25. I Wanted To Know How Long Can You Have Section 8 In San Bernardino County

26. Does anyone know if your current housing authority have to let u move to a new housing authority if they aren’t absorbing but they r billing?

• Yes. your current housing authority has to let you know if they accept billing from the new housing authority.

27. Odetta McGee says:

I have a section 8 voucher in Putman co in Tennessee where can I apply for a voulchet transfer from Monterey Tn to cookeville Tn can it. Be done on line have found an aptartment that will be open last of march

28. I’m about to receive my housing vouchers for st.james missouri. I moved here from Indiana & have been living with new found bio family that I wish I wouldn’t have met. I don’t want to stay in missouri at all but I am grateful that I’m getting housing here bc the list was closed in Indiana. I hear I have to stay a year at the initial place I receive my voucher before I will be able to port to Indiana. Does anyone know if this is true. Do u have to reside one year before you can relocate? Thank you so much

29. I’m porting from Columbus Ohio to Las Vegas I’m jus waiting on my appointment now with my worker.. How long will it take for them to send my foul over and for me to pick up my voucher from their (Vegas)

30. I need help with how the process would go from moving my section 8 voucher from Los Angeles to New York. I don’t have the funds to take a plane back n forth just sign papers etc is is possible to do this without having to go to new york til I have a place ready n keys waiting?

31. Karen Fletcher says:

Doing recertification told worker I want to port to another state what is the process how long does it take

32. I am thinking of porting to az will my voucher amount increase?

• When you port anywhere you’re transferring your voucher to the city or county you’re moving to. So your new voucher will be issued from that city or county which means you follow their procedures. So call the city that you are thinking of moving to to find out what their payment standards are for the size of your voucher and if your bedroom size will stay the same. New state new rules.

33. I’m wanting to move to San Diego from oregon but can’t aford to go back and forth so when should I start my transfer

• Ask your caseworker but generally you have to start the process at least two months before your lease is up.

34. Juju Marie says:

I just got accepted for section 8 in January from Shrwesbury, Ana housing authority. I finally found an apartment in Chicopee Ma, did all the paper work and my new landlord faxed my shrewsbury worker everything. So then she tells me to call Chicopee housing and ask them if they are absorbing or hosting and they had said they are billing. What does that mean and what’s going to happen now

• When the new housing authority that you are trying to port into is in billing, it means that their program is so full that they have no vouchers to issue you. So you have to ask your current housing authority if they are accepting billing. If they do accept billing, it means that your current housing authority is going to let you take their voucher and use it in the new city. They have to keep making the payments on your rent even though you’re no longer living in their jurisdiction. So first you have to find out if your current HA accepts billing. If so let them know you plan to move and they’ll file your paperwork with the new HA. You’ll have to go to the new HA for your briefing to get your voucher and basically start that process over again.

35. I am trying to port from Ohio to Texas, does anyone know how long this process can take?

36. Hello:

I am currently a voucher holder in Chicago, IL, and I want to port my voucher over to Arizona. I would like to find a place in Goodyear or Surprise, Az. I have a family of nine. Does anyone know how long is the process? Is Arizona fast?

• Natalie Chandler says:

Well. I spoke to the housing authority in maricopa county and they are only doing billing

37. Clarissa says:

I currently live in Florida. I have a job. I will be receiving my sec 8 voucher I have been on the wait list for 6 years in Illinois. I am flying up there next week to get it. Someone did tell me they may be able to make a exception and let me port my section 8 voucher to Florida at the beginning(without having to stay a year in Illinois) Is this possibly true?

• There are only 2 main exceptions hud makes for not having you stay in the area that is issuing your voucher for a year. (1) You lived in the whatever city is issuing you the voucher while you were on the waiting list. (2) You have health problems or even family obligations that requires you to stay in your city. You would need a letter stating so by a doctor or other professional.