Housing Choice Vouchers are accepted by cities across the country, giving families real choice about where they live. In the Housing Choice Voucher Program the rental assistance is “portable,” which means, it “moves” with you.
Portability allows you to move with continued assistance to any housing authority in the country that has a Housing Choice voucher program.
Important Portability Facts
- Each housing authority has its own rules, regulations and deadlines that you must follow.
- Fair Market Rent limits or payment standards may be different.
- The utility allowance may be different and may affect the rent amount you pay.
- Subsidy standards may be different.
- The new housing authority will issue you a different voucher, which may change the size (number of bedrooms).
- When you move the new housing authority will re-verify your income.
- When you transfer to another Housing Authority they may re-verify your household income, family composition and require a recent criminal background check.
- If you are new to the Housing Choice Voucher Program and have not previously received rental assistance, your income must meet the Income Eligibility Limits of the area where you are transferring.
- Section 8 program: transfer from one city to another
- Introduction to New York, NY section 8 housing
- Chicago Housing Authority is absorbing Section 8 Voucher Holders
- Section8 “Waiting List Lottery” opens. 40,000 Names to Be chosen for WAIT LIST?
- Section 42 income limits explained!