PORTABILITY – General Facts

Housing Choice Vouchers are accepted by cities across the country, giving families real choice about where they live. In the Housing Choice Voucher Program the rental assistance is “portable,” which means, it “moves” with you.

Portability allows you to move with continued assistance to any housing authority in the country that has a Housing Choice voucher program.

Important Portability Facts

• Each housing authority has its own rules, regulations and deadlines that you must follow.
  • Fair Market Rent limits or payment standards may be different.
  • The utility allowance may be different and may affect the rent amount you pay.
  • Subsidy standards may be different.
  • The new housing authority will issue you a different voucher, which may change the size (number of bedrooms).
  • When you move the new housing authority will re-verify your income.
  • When you transfer to another Housing Authority they may re-verify your household income, family composition and require a recent criminal background check.
  • If you are new to the Housing Choice Voucher Program and have not previously received rental assistance, your income must meet the Income Eligibility Limits of the area where you are transferring.

Comments

comments

Comments

1. Faith May says:

I live in Tucson Az. and wonder why it is that it takes forever to receiver the voucher for transfer from one apt to another. In fact I would like to find out the why it is that when I put in a 60 day notice to landlord and give all appropriate info to case worker I get info that my voucher expires 30 days after my lease ends. Is there anything for the reason? I am also going to port to another county in this state so is there a better way to get things accomplished.

2. nicole messaoudi says:

Is there a gap in between from when you have to move out of your current place and into the new place? My current housing authority said I should start the porting process only one month before my lease is up.. it don’t seam like enough time

3. if i get a section 8 voucher for the city and need to transferr it in the same state to estes park co from boulder co can i do this . they told me it has to stay in the city . by law the federal gov hud transferrs any wheres . this world is getting more corrupt on lies . i have been approved to estes where i came from the flood .if i get the voucher need to go back there . and im handicaped and they do lotterys and there is no housing here. hate it here . need to go where i can manage . please give the the laws on this . they said you need to stay one yr in the city here but the federal housing hud is you can t add your to the federal program . please give me informaation on this so i can go to where i came from one hour away difference . co state

4. Romaize Williamson says:

Hi I live in the New York area does anyone know about how long the process will take to transfer my section 8 out of NY to a next state? The rep said there is no time frame she can give me..

• Leah Grundza says:

From the responses i read on here it can be a week or a month and very possible that you may lose your voucher if you dont time things perfect. I don’t know where to start i want to port to California from Pa and im scared and clueless

5. Hi can someone please tell me will the new county section 8 pay my full rent with no income like I have a Job in my current county with my section 8 but obviously I want when I port will that be a problem

6. Leah Grundza says:

Im currently in pittsburgh pa and want to port to California. Anyone suggest a safe and nice area with good schools? And where do i look for places that accept section 8 in CA?

• Yuba city CA is a nice place, Stockton CA, Sonoma county CA those are nice place in northern CA if you want southern CA then I can’t help you if you like snow go towards Redding CA, it’s close by Oregon hope that helps

7. I sent out 2 letters one to my landlord and one too section 8 letting then know that I wish to move out of state . how hard is it to find a place once your in a new state .

8. Justine Lopes says:

I have a question, im in hawaii on the island of oahu and about to get my voucher but its on the big island. How do I go about transferring to oahu so I dont have to move to a different island? Or do I have to stay on the big island for a year before I can transfer?

9. Hello. I wanna port from New Jersey to connecticut… I have a 2 bedroom voucher for me and my son. How long will it take and is it easy to find apartments in Danbury?

10. Valerie Adolph says:

How long will it take to call me from another state

11. I live in Brooklyn ny trying to port to albany ny trying to be closer to family. I also want to get out of this concrete jungle. I want to give my kids a better life .How is also albany ny??

12. How long does it take to port from n.j