FAQ #1: Can a convicted felon get Section 8?

One of the most frequently asked question is can a convicted felon qualify for Section 8?

The answer depends on a number of factors and the type of felony conviction. The application process for section 8 does necessitate a criminal background check so it is a pertinent question.

There are 2 felonies that will exclude you from obtaining a section 8 voucher forever; If you have a lifetime registration on the sex registry or if you sold meth anywhere near public housing facilities. If you already have section 8 and commit one of these felonies you will have your voucher revoked immediately and will never be eligible again.

Any other felony is really on a case by case basis. Most counties will typically allow you into the program if the felony was not committed in the past 5 years. It can be less if you attended Rehab and received a certificate of compliance.

One thing to note is even if you are accepted into the section 8 program, potential landlords can (and usually do) also require their own background check and may not rent to you if you have any convictions on your record. Though that also is on a case by case basis.

felony

Comments

1. jacqueline says:

can you please send me application for section 8 i need 2bedroom at 184 concord street rahway nj 07065

2. I need application please for section 8 in Va or WVa..Thank You

3. getting married in a month. was wondering since my fiance is a convicted felon and we want o move in together will I lose my section 8? I live in California. He has a GBI, but only did 6 months in jail. He got sentenced 5 years probation but is due to be off June this summer. I need help!

4. Robin C. says:

Please send me a application thank you

5. You go to housing authority office in ur county. Look it up online. And to the last comment – reread the article ur answer is there

6. My son moved out it was three in my household now it’s two will my voucher cchange I have a two bedroom now

7. Crystol Dunn says:

I am a Representative payee for a mentally disabled person who has filled out and applied for Section 8 housing in Minnesota. He was told most ecently that he never lived in Public Housing(this is untrue, and he has proof), and that his name never got entered into the pool to receive Section 8 housing and that his name will not be entered into the pool. Who does he need to talk to for help in this situation. It has been 12+ years of waiting for Section 8 housing voucher and now he’s being denied for what reason??? He is not a felon, sex offender, or had anything to do with drug elated incidents. He is an African American with Mental Disabilities who is in need of assistance to eraticate this issue.

8. My fiance comes home in june possibly even earlier if released on ctp if accepted n february. my question is I’m on section eight now. Im afraid I will I lose my section 8 if i allow him to move in with us. his conviction was for a class B felony theft & burglary it’s not a serious crime but serious enough to throw him Iin the slammer for four and a half years he’s going to soon be coming home but now I need to know if I will be able to allow him to live in our home being we are on section 8. It took us ten years to finally get approved and get a house. Weve been thriugh so much and we want to be a famiky again but I dont want to loose everything ive worked so hard to finally get… Please can u help to enlighten my greif.

• Nelson Rosen says:

Tricky situation. If you add him on the official section 8, you most likely will NOT qualify any longer. If you have him move in secretly without informing section 8, you risk getting caught and thrown out of the program, likely forever.

I would NOT risk it.

9. My name is Jessica Cooper and I live in Tallahassee, Fl. and I’ve been trying to apply for section 8 down here but I keep getting denied. I have some drugs charges on my record from ten years ago that they says stop me from getting the place. How long do I have to wait because I am a single parent looking for a place to live.

• Nelson Rosen says:

Most counties will allow you to qualify if the conviction is more than 5 years old.

10. I was recently found guilty on 2 accounts of welfare fraud. However untrue it is that I was purposely fraudulent, it’s still two felonies. I am ordered to pay back $4000 for the overpayment of foodstamps. This just happened last month. I am on probation but no jail time. Would I be eligible for section 8 housing or any kind of assisted housing since it’s a crime against the government? I lost my job over this mess and am having a hard time finding another one. I would live alone except for my daughter on the weekends? Don’t want to waste my time with paperwork or the embarrassment to only be turned down. Could you please enlighten me? ThanksThanks

• Nelson Rosen says:

Sorry to hear that. Where do you live? Most section 8 waiting lists are so long it would be years before you would be considered anyway and by that point your felony will be years old.

11. ok so can a person with a conspiracy to distribute meth felony over 5 years ago apply and get approved? the felony was not near any low income housing…

12. Hello…While on section 8 I was charged with a felony (shoplifting) charge 6 years ago in VA. The charge was later dropped to a misdemeanor 3 years ago I was evicted from my apt because i didn’t report the charge. I told her i didn’t think i had to report it because it wasn’t a felony conviction. Can i still re- apply for section 8 ???can you suggest any other programs???

13. Someone that just came up for section 8 in Jefferson County (BMT, Tx) in that meanwhile pled guilty to a felony assult charge….about six months ago…& taking court order Anger managment and Probation…. The interview is nearing very soon….Is it best to inform the caseworker before they process the background check???? & will the assult keep the individual from getting on any type of Government housing for the first time??? Thanks.